38.

Shadowhunter

The new kingdom is windy and wide-open and speckled with snow-capped mountains and cold. I don't like it at all. I miss the warm nights and clear skies of the Night Kingdom, the ocean always close.

There are so many unfamiliar dragons, swarming around Mommy and Daddy. Both of them look really worried, the tension rippling through the air feels like it would electrocute my wings. Usually parties are fun, but this one isn't at all.

"Your Majesty." Daddy bows to the big red dragon. I take a step backward. Maybe this is a good time to hide under a table.

"Darkstalker," she says curtly. "The animus."

Daddy pauses for a moment. "Yes."

"You know, in my tribe, your kind would have been executed as soon as your powers surfaced," the dragon says slowly.

Daddy leans forward, hissing. "Was that a threat, Queen Carmen?" Daddy says evenly, adjusting his wing around my shoulder. "Because if so, I'd just like to remind you who's in control right now. It's not you. And if you even think about laying so much as a talon on my family I will not hesitate to strike back."

I hiss, puffing out my chest a little like Mom does sometimes at parties like these. Neither of the dragons seem to notice me.

"You can't defy the laws of the world. Your existence is an abomination."

"I could end your life in a second."

"Is this your dragonet?" The big, scary red dragon crouches down and sizes me up.

"If you dare touch her--" Daddy growls.

"The world is at risk with you in it, Darkstalker of the NightWings--without the irresponsibility of having dragonets. I can't believe you were even so reckless as to allow it to happen."

"Get away from me. Now," Daddy says through gritted teeth, taking a step forward as so to physically push her away from me.

"I would appreciate some respect. This is my kingdom, not yours." Carmen shoots me one last disapproving look before stomping away incredulously.

I scoot closer to Daddy's talons, mewling uncertainly at him. I feel like throwing up. I don't like this place, or the uncertainty that comes with it. I want to go home.

***

"We can't remain here!" Daddy shouts, growling at Mommy. "That monster just made a threat on the lives of me and our daughter, and probably by association you too. Do you think we can just let her get away with that?"

Mommy rubs her temples. "Darkstalker, please. Calm down. I'm not saying you're wrong, but we need to think clearly about this. We knew the SkyWings were going to be the hardest tribe to sway, and I know you don't like it, but we need this alliance--"

"How can you possibly risk our daughter's life for an alliance, Clearsight? What if they know what she is? Do you know what they do to dragons who are different here? They kill them." He pauses, rubbing his eyes. "This place isn't safe, not for any of us. You know how many years of prejudice the SkyWings have toward us--they think our powers are almost as bad as animus ones."

Mommy sighs. "Darkstalker, I'm not a child. You don't need to explain everything to me, okay? I know there are risks, and I'm not going to let you or Shadowhunter get hurt."

Why are they yelling? I don't understand. I wish they'd stop it.

I slip behind one of the silk curtains, curling up and folding my wings over my ears. It doesn't really help, though. I wonder if anything will.