Chapter Four

Not long after it hits twelve o'clock, I hear sounds of keys twisting against the wooden door from downstairs. Light, but squeaky footsteps move around the apartment and my mind goes wild from the disruption.

Instinctively I turn into my side and try to adjust my sight; by rubbing my eyes continuously till I manage to gain consciousness. Once again, Aiden's side of the bed is cold and empty beside me.

My mind begins to play tricks on me as I have a a sick feeling growing in my stomach that there might be an intruder as stake.

I expeditiously ignore the brainsickly feeling in my body and grab the nearest thing that my eyes land on. A autographed cricket bat and slowly butcarefully descend down the stairs, gripping the bat as tight as I could. As I round the corner, I see the kitchen light turned on I hear sounds of faint grunts and things flying across the floor.

Keeping the bat close to my side, I enter the kitchen apprehensively and that's when my eyes dart to the person in front of me, and my heart drops to the ground at his current state. A small gasp escapes from my lips and that's when his constricted pupils come into contact with mine.

"Aiden?" my voice croaks out I've never seen him in this drunken state before and his bloodshot eyes is shaking me to the core.

"I'm not up to anything right now." He answers coldly, taking another swing of his drink. Each time his hand reaches the bottle, flash backs of Ryan appear in my mind and I feel the same extact feeling as I did when Ryan used to come home drunk.

I finally gain the corrage to walk up to him he still has his work suit on, but he reeks of alcohol almost too sickly. "Give me the bottle." I try to reach the bottle of whiskey from his hand but his grip on it is too strong. "Why do-0 you car-e? He leans in close his face inches from mine.

"Please Aiden, just give me the bottle." I hiccup, tears threatening to fall. But I won't let him see me upset. "Can you please tell me what happened?" He stands there in momentarily silence before, taking another sip of the brown liquor. I try to reach this hand but he just holds it higher above my head so I can't even reach it if I wanted to.

"Everything is turning into shit right now." He slurs pushing the empty bottles of alcohol onto the floor.

"W-why I thought everything was going okay?" I stutter looking at all the shattered pieces of glass on the floor.

"Things are better left-t unsaid-d." And with that he turns his back and walks up the stairs.

The person who tries to keep everyone happy often ends up feeling the loneliest.

~~
After Aiden goes upstairs, I manage to sweep up all the remaining bits of sharp glass from the floor. I haven't heard a peep from Aiden so I decided to give him some space while he begins to sober up. This is so overwhelming for me, it's like the cycle repeats it's time. First it was my brother and now it's Aiden and I can't possibly imagine loosing a bit of Aiden and myself.

I clean the kitchen up and myself before returning upstairs it's odd that I haven't heard anything from Aiden and if I'm being honest it's scaring me. I won't just sit there and watch him being consumed by alcohol.

I mount the stairs and as I turn around the corner I see Aiden; his body curled into a ball and from where I am standing, muffled sounds coming from his lips.

Is he crying?

"Aiden?" I whisper and slowly but carefully neel in front of him. In fact, his eyes are swollen and all the colour that was once on his face have drained, leaving his glowy skin ill and pale looking.

"Come here." He picks himself off the floor and places his head on my lap while I lightly run my hand through his soft brown hair. "Aiden, I will always be here by your side, I love you. And what ever your going through right now it will pass." I whisper into his ear and I can tell that he is getting sleepy by the minute as I continue to whisper things into his ear.

"I don't deserve you." Aiden whispers before his eyes flutters shut.

Whether you're willing to admit it or not, we are all a little broken.
________________________________
Make sure to click the below if you would like the next chapter!

Any paperback recommendations?