[ 07. ]

Ever since the public appearance, they were more comfortable with each other. Not by much, but just enough not to flinch at every movement the other made. Asami tried to think of things to talk to him about, and when she thought of something, she would tuck it away. Waiting for the right moment.

The right moment never arose.

Todoroki was climbing the popularity polls ever since his appearance with Asami. The way he shielded her from the press garnered civilian admiration. He had more work, and more villains to contend with.

This kept him distracted, but Asami could see the constant pressure of his father wearing on him.

"How was your day?"

Out of nowhere, within the kitchen, she spoke. Todoroki stopped typing on his computer, not expecting her to speak. What was he going to say? It wasn't condescending. It was genuine. Quick, think of something.

"Fine," he said, immediately regretting his tone. He tried to rescue the only conversation she had started in days. "How about yours, Saito?"

"Fine as well," she said. Asami sat at the pot, stirring. What was she going to say now? What would they talk about? She exhaled, adding some salt to the pot. "Any villains today?"

Todoroki didn't expect her to talk anymore. He turned around on the couch, getting a peek of her at the stove. Her back was turned to him. "A couple of lowly ones."

"Oh," she nodded her head.

"Did you listen to your— music?" Todoroki struggled with what to ask, a long pause between the words in his question. He couldn't see the slight smile on her face.

"Yes, do you hear it when you come home?" The question was no longer forced, her curiosity actually true.

"It's rather loud, Saito. It could injure your hearing," he said, meaning for it to be a joke. There was zero emotion in his voice, however, and it came off flat. Another silence fell over them.

"I'll lower the volume next time. I apologize."

Todoroki bit the inside of his cheek, feeling like he had messed up. Why couldn't he have just said something nice? He was trying to, but nothing ever came out right.

Their dinner was silent, delicious as usual. Later that evening, Asami sat on her bed, staring at the photograph she kept hidden away. She touched her finger to it, drawing circles around her brothers' faces. She sighed, messing with the ends of her braid.

Todoroki gave a soft knock on the door and she looked up, not noticing the storm brewing in the distance. "May I come in?"

"Of course," she said, getting to her feet and giving him a bow. "Is there something I can do for you?"

"No," he said, making eye contact for a second and then averting quickly. "I apologize for sounding harsh earlier. I did not mean it."

She froze, watching him leave the room. What? He was apologizing? For the hearing comment? Her silk robe flew out behind her as she chased after him. "Todoroki— wait!"

She reached out for his hand, gently grabbing it. It was his ice side. She felt prickles of coldness erupt in her palm, it stung but she held on. She wasn't letting go so easily.