[ 04. ]

Asami packed her suitcases with extraordinary care. She savored the noises of her twin brothers squealing and giggling around the house. She got to her feet, looking out of her door frame. They were twirling around, towels around their necks like capes. She leaned against the door frame, trying to fight the urge to cry again.

She twirled the necklace around her neck, the heaviness of her eyes beginning to feel more and more like a weight with each passing day. She was having such a hard time sleeping, a hard time cooking, a hard time doing choirs.

Asami remembered him clearly. Like he could reach out of thin air and pluck her away at any moment. He had such an emptiness in his eyes. Shouto. His voice hung on the air, deep and without emotion.

His vacant stare bore into her soul. Why did he look at her that way? Was she not what he had hoped? How did he feel?

But, when she presented the jade, his fingers shook ever so slightly. He didn't say anything else that night. How had he gotten that scar on his eye?

She had so many questions and no answers. Her father had already bought her some clothes, and gave her some extra money to buy anything else needed. Asami felt no excitement toward it, knowing how he got it.

When she finally had everything packed, she wheeled it out toward the door. Her twin brothers came sprinting around the corner.

"Where are you going, Ane?!" Hiro piped up, her other brother Shiro nodding. "Are we going on a trip?"

Asami slouched over her bags, feeling the emotion welling up in stomach again. She remembered the day they cried for mother, not yet old enough to understand. At three years old, they knew she left. Like— going on a trip.

Asami turned around, looking deep into their little eyes. The same questions lingered in the air. Hiro tugging at her hand, wearing all black.  Standing next to a grave stone.

Without warning, she fell to the floor, embracing them in a tight hug. They didn't know what was happening, but they didn't fight it. She felt little tears drip down her face, as Todoroki Enji's voice echoed.

' We have agreed to limited access between family members, for the Saitos. In order to protect your family from the eyes of the media, Asami, you will go by Hajime Asami, until your name becomes Todoroki, of course. '

"I— I have to go away for a while."

She knew they didn't understand. Their little action figures fell to from their small hands, hugging her back.

"W-why do you have to go, Ane?" Shiro held on to her short sleeve, beginning to sniffle. She pulled away for a second, looking at their watery eyes. Why did mama have to go on her trip? Doesn't she love us, Ane? Hiro had begun to leak snot from his nose before the tears sprung.

Asami herself wiped her face and plastered on a smile. "Don't cry, don't cry, it'll be alright."

She patted each one of their faces with a tissue, pushing her loose black hair behind her ears. She thought on her feet, creating a lie. "I'm going on a very super secret mission."

Their eyes lit up, the remnants of sadness disappearing. "You're going to be a hero?"

She nodded, fighting back everything. She choked as she spoke. "Now, you can't tell anyone. I'm going to be fighting villains and saving the world!"