Chapter 4

Evelyn's pov

I was woken up to hear a car alarm making me jump up out of fear. I quickly crawled out of the tent with Todd hot on my heels. I stood up straight before running over to the red car that everyone was crowded over when the alarm finally stopped; I can hear Amy yelling at Glenn about her sister and Shane trying to give him a lecture. We saw a van drive over, making me smile; I ran over and waited for Uncle Merle with Todd by my feet, wagging his tail. Glenn looked at me and had a guilty expression on his face? The truck stopped, and everyone came out running towards their family. My smile slowly started fading away when I saw that My Uncle isn't coming out of the van. Maybe he's playing a trick on me; yeah, he likes to do this sometimes. The driver's side door opened, which made me smile wider until I saw someone that was not my Uncle. He was wearing a police uniform. The next thing I know, Carl started screaming "Dad," and the man ran towards them and hugged Lori and Carl just like my Papa hugs me. I ran towards the back of the van, making Todd yip, and everyone snapped their heads in my direction.

"Evelyn, don't!" I heard Glenn say, but I ignored him

I reached the back of the van, and I didn't see my Uncle. I didn't even see his weapon. I looked at everyone with watery eyes making everyone look at me sadly while the people who went to the city looked guilty.

"Where's Uncle Merle," I said, making everyone lower their heads. "What did you do?!"

Shane walked over to me, slowly making me glare at him.

"Evelyn, your Uncle, wasn't being a very-" Andrea started making everyone freeze.

"Andrea, don't," Lori said sternly. "She's just a child."

"Well, she has to know!" She exclaimed while glaring at her; she looked at me with a guilty look before saying the words that I was hoping were not true "We left him behind because he was going to get us killed."

Tears started rolling down my face. I balled up my fist and glared at everyone that even looked at me. Todd started growling at everyone, and they all looked at us, shocked.

"You're all horrible!" I yelled, making them flinch. "You left my Uncle where he can die! You left my family while you all can return to yours! I wish all of you to feel the pain that my Papa and I are about to feel because we trusted you!"

I ran towards my family's part of the camp with nobody even calling my name. Todd ran right behind me and went to our tree. I climbed the tree all the way to the tree branch where none of the adults can reach me while Todd went into his den, peaking his nose out just in case. I sat up there all day. I didn't even come down for dinner. I sat there starring at the city with tears all dried up. My Papa wasn't back yet, my Uncle was stuck in the city, and I was all alone.

Carl's pov

I was cuddled up next to my Dad while he explained his story about when he woke up and how he got to us. By the time he was done, we were all quiet until everyone started talking about the Dixon's.

"What are we going to tell, Daryl?" Amy asked

"The truth," Andrea said, making my mom scoff, "her Uncle was out of control."

"Right, like that's going to go very well." She said, making everyone look at her. "Did none of you see the way Evelyn reacted? She may be a lot calmer than how her Uncle and Father, but you just told her that the people she's supposed to be safe with left her Uncle in the city. . . . Daryl is not going to be happy about any of this."

Everyone bowed their heads at the mention of Evelyn. I looked at the tree that she always sits in, and I looked at my plate.

"She didn't come down to eat," I said, making everyone look at me before looking at the tree that was right next to their part of the camp.

"Yeah, Andrea, that was not cool," Glenn said, making her glare at him, "she's just a little girl."

"She had to know. It doesn't matter how old she is," Andrea said

"She's nine years old!" My mom snapped, "She's a year younger than Carl!"

All you felt in the air now is tense, making my Dad sigh.

"Look, I'm going to explain to Daryl what happened." He said, making everyone look at him

"I'm the one who dropped the key. I should be the one to do it," T-Dog said

"No offense, T-Dog, but I think that news should come from a white male," Dale said, making T-Dog nod his head.

"It was my cuffs. I'm the one who cuffed him to that pole. I should be the one to explain it." He said, making me look at the tree again

I sighed as I lowered my head with a heavy feeling against my chest. Her Dad wasn't here yet, and my Dad was the one that left her Uncle in the city. I can't help but feel really guilty. My family was together, but hers wasn't.

Daryl's pov

I was lying down looking up at the night sky, thinking about my little girl and my brother. I couldn't help but feel have a bad feeling in my chest. Every time I get this feeling, Evie is hurt or crying. I furrow my brows at this because I know my brother would never do anything to upset her. I decided to get some sleep, thinking that maybe she got into it with Merle about something, or she just missed me being gone. I fell asleep thinking about how she was running through the fields with that fox running after her. I smiled at the memory before everything went black.

Third Person pov

Daryl would soon find out that his brother was left behind, and his daughter was left alone in a camp that he doesn't trust.