Chapter 7

I waited for Father to leave the house until I finally got ready for school. I took a different route, hoping that I wouldn't find Hina or anyone else on the way to school. I was lost in thought the whole day and didn't talk to anyone. I can't go back home, but I have nowhere to go. I didn't make fun of Sensei and I didn't go to the extra lessons with him today either.

I stayed seated as everyone left the classroom, including Sensei. School was over and I still had no clue of what I would do. I remained seated and the sky outside was already dark. I then heard footsteps approaching me but I decided to ignore them. My body wouldn't budge.

"Yui?" I heard Sensei's voice near me. I looked up and noticed him kneeling in front of my desk. "What are you still doing here? It's already closing hours." he sounded surprised.

I started crying and looked up at him. "Sensei..."

"What's wrong?" he suddenly walked beside me and hugged me.

I pulled apart and looked at him as tears ran down my face.

"Please..." I whined. "Please let me go home with you." I struggled to ask him once again.

"Yui, I've told you--"

"Please!" I interrupted, "I don't want to go back home."

"How come?" he asked, sounding worried.

I can't tell him that father hit me. "I just don't want to." I was unable to lie.

"That's not a reason, Yui." he sighed, "Just go back home. I'll talk with your father if you want me to."

"No!" I said, terrified.

"What's the matter? Why are you acting so afraid of your father?" I got up from my seat and lifted up my shirt. I regretted showing him, but I had to tell him the truth. I had grown tired of my father, beating me for every little thing. I wanted to get rid of him as soon as possible.

I lifted my shirt up and showed Sensei my bruises. His eyes widened, looking surprised.

"Please don't tell anyone." my eyes teared up.

"Yui... I have to report this. Your father can't do something like this to you."

"No!" I yelled as Bakashima was about to get up, probably to tell the principle about what he had just seen.

"I'll lie if you tell anyone." I said. "I'll tell them I fell on the way home, riding my bike."

"Yui, you can't just let him do these things to you."

"I know, but--"

"Fine."

Eh?

"I'll take you home... But only for today." he looked serious. I was happy to have been able to convince him. "But you also can't tell anyone about this or else I'll lose my job." My mind lightened. This was the perfect opportunity to get Bakashima fired but, no, I couldn't, after all, he is helping me.

"Okay." I agreed cheerfully, excited to see what a teacher's house would look like.