Chapter 13: The Escape

Alex dashed back inside and locked the door. Everyone else was asleep. So nobody will notice.

But the wash of relief left Alex as he heard an ear-piercing scream come out of the hallway. Alex opened the door and saw Matthew staring at the wolves.

"MATTHEW!" Alex screamed in a whisper.

Now everyone was awake. They all unlocked their doors and stared at the hoard of zombie wolves. The wolves stared back, but then noticed the staircase.

The wolves dashed towards the stairs on the first level.

"Everyone follow me!!" Alex screamed.

He ran the opposite direction of the stairs and rounded the corner until he came upon the other staircase. He jumped down and ran for the hotel lobby.

He looked back and was reassured. Everyone was still there. All 11.

He opened up the door and allowed everyone in before him. Alex noticed the wolves at the top of the stairs. They were looking around for them.

Alex slowly shut the door and dashed towards the other door. He ran across the breakfast area and shot the door out.

Suddenly, a crash filled the air. Alex looked back and saw Matthew get tackled to the floor.

"LEAVE ME!" He yelled.

Alex saw a second wolf break through the other door.

"GO TO THE RIVER!" Alex screamed.

All the kids ran to the river and jumped in.

The wolves ran towards the river bank but didn't dare go in. The wolves stared at them for a moment and then turned around and left.

All the kids swam to the other side of the river and stared at the hotel.

Then, they saw something horrible.

Matthew walked slowly towards the river. He had a large chunk missing out of his shoulder. His face was empty and as were his eyes.

He was gone.

The kids got up and realized that they were on the edge of a forest. They had to go through it to get away.

As they ran through the dense, mysterious forest, they had thoughts of where to go from there.

And what was going on with the wolves?