Except once they were back, it didn't stop. She'd chosen to hold his hand in the cab and lean against him. Answered his kiss just minutes ago when he dropped her off.

No, this can't be happening. He's your patient. Just a child. He's eight years younger than you.

For crying out loud, she was already in school when he was born. What the fuck was wrong with her?

But all that reasoning didn't make it gross. She'd seen him, ran her hands over him, kissed him, and nothing about it had felt wrong. Just the thought of touching him again made her shudder.

Your patient! That was a real problem. Because it was something she couldn't justify in any way. Except... He hasn't exactly been your patient in over a month now.

And after he'd spoken with Christine and Harry and gotten his closure, he was definitely well on his way to being healed. He didn't need her anymore and they'd been more friends than doctor and patient. She'd constantly had to make up reasons to be around him.

She wasn't his doctor anymore. Couldn't be anything. She'd fucked up and she had to end this now, when she was sure of it, rather than later when she was sure she'd find some insane reason to keep manipulating him to keep her around.

So she dropped her luggage, got into her car and drove to his place, chanting all the reasons she had to end this inside her head on the way.

He's your patient. You broke your hippocratic oath. You took advantage of his need for love, enabled him. This is sick, this isn't right.

"This is sick, this isn't right," she whispered as she knocked on his door.

But the moment he opened, an exhausted smile on his face, her saving mantra instantly disappeared from memory. He'd taken a shower, so his hair was once again jet black and a little wet, and he only wore a pair of worn out jeans and a t-shirt.

"Hi," he said, then the smile slipped off his face. "Everything okay?"

No, nothing was okay. For a moment, she wondered if now was the best time to spring this on him. He hadn't slept in days and could very well forget everything by the next morning. She should go back home. But then she'd lose her nerve and as much as it sucked for him, they needed to do this now.

"We need to talk. Can I come in?"

"Sure, sorry." He moved out of the way and took her jacket, hanging it in the hall next to his. As if it belonged there and they should totally live together.

She shook away the stupid thought and took her boots off then stepped into the living area.

"What's going on?" He moved to the couch but didn't sit, turning to face her instead.

"Sam, we need to end this," she blurted out.

He squinted at her. "End what?"

Okay, she hadn't expected that answer. "This thing between us."

"Are you putting labels on things?"

Lose Control (The Jewel Project #5)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें