4. 'Tis The Season

Written for ChickLit's 'Tis the season holiday contest.

_____

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Except not. I mentally told Andy Williams to shut the hell up and stormed out of my mother's house, skidding on the ice-frosted sidewalk. I had stopped by on my way to the office party, to borrow her special diamond earrings, and walked right into her having coffee with my ex. Apparently, they had never cut ties with each other, and even went out for lunch occasionally, and he would be joining us for Christmas dinner! Yeah, count me out of that one.

I felt so betrayed. Weren't mothers supposed to stand by their daughters and take their side when they were hurt by cheating boyfriends? And she still defended the jerk. What the hell was wrong with the world lately?

I rushed into my car and started it. The dashboard lights went on for just a second before it died with a miserable choke. I was gonna be late for the party. My God, this day couldn't get any worse. I marched down the street before anyone came outside. I didn't have it in me to face mom at the moment, and the last thing I needed was him coming to check the engine.

***

"Sir? Sir?" I called the cab driver. "How long will it still be?"

The man turned to me spitting fire. "Look, princess. I don't know what kind of pretty perfect world you live in, but in real life I can't just fly this car over the traffic."

"Excuse me!?"

"I can't control the other cars so they open for us like the red fucking sea!"

"I heard you, sir! But is it really necessary to be this rude?"

"Fucking spoiled..." he just mumbled.

I took a deep breath to steady myself and looked out the window, contemplating if it was better to just jump off and walk the rest of the way. Unfortunately, in this weather, and this far from the office building, I would probably die of a cold before getting halfway there. I just sucked it up and tried not to cry. I was so spineless.

My mind kept going back to my ex and his visit to my mother. Caleb might have had lunch with her on a weekly basis, but I was pretty sure he never visited. I would have noticed it. I shook it off -- didn't want to waste time and thoughts on that jerk -- and prayed that I would get to the office in time. My boss had hinted that there would be a special announcement about a position that had been vacated. I really needed that promotion, and getting to the party on time might be the difference between making or breaking.

"Did he make the announcement yet?" I asked my friends as soon as I got there, note, forty minutes late.

Tina and Mark looked at each other hesitantly. "Yes," he said.

"I didn't get it."

"No, honey, there's--"

"Please, don't." I took the glass from his hand and downed the rest of his drink, then took hers. "I am through with this day, and to see it pass quicker..." I raised the eggnog and made a show of taking it in one swig. "Cheers."

I walked away from my friends before they had the chance to console me. I didn't want that. I didn't need that right now. I needed to feel good about something, but what could do the trick?

***

I sipped the last of my bottle of champagne. It was mine if I had stolen it. But it would be okay; no one would find me under my hiding place under my desk. I had crumbled only seconds after deciding to have a good time. Who was I kidding? I was failing at love, failing at work, and I had no balls to take the reigns of my life back. Better to just stick to my lonely corner, chugging and crying about my defeats.

I heard the door open and close in a haste, then the shuffle of papers. I swiped the streak of pathetic tears from my cheeks and poked my head up to see who it was. Jonas' eyes met mine as he froze int he middle of whatever he was doing.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I'm... taking time to myself."

His expression relaxed. "It can get a bit overwhelming out there, right?"

I felt more confident, enough to inch closer like a suspicious deer. "So, what are you doing here?"

He sighed. "I just remembered I had to turn in this report today, so I have to find it and take it to Henderson's office before she decapitates me."

"Only you would work in the middle of a Christmas party, Jonas."

"Hey! My ass is on the line."

I watched him resume his work, bulging muscles apparent under the still tucked and buttoned-up shirt. He was such a dull boy, but I saw an opportunity present itself. An opportunity to have some fun and forget all about my problems for a moment... or hopefully several moments.

Jonas lifted a bundle of papers. "Got it!"

"Great! Now that work is done..." I moved between him and his desk. "We can move on to the fun stuff."

"But I still have to--"

I shut him up with a hungry kiss, pulling him to me by his tie. When his body crashed against mine, he dropped his papers and kissed me back. His hands came behind my thighs and hauled me up, placing me on top of the desk. This was so unlike me, but for once I wanted to relax, even if I would deeply regret it the next day. And I was definitely going to regret, judging by how much I had to drink.

I was opening the first buttons of Jonas' shirt when I heard someone clean their throat at the door.

"What the hell is going on here?" Caleb asked, raising a brow.

Yep! Worst Christmas ever.

_____

AN: Don't forget to vote, comment, and add the book to your library if you dig it. Thanks for reading!