Chapter Sixty-Two- A Curse Breaker and Two Mirrors

Start from the beginning

It wasn't like Sirius was ignoring Peter or being mean to him. He just didn't particularly want to talk to him about Remus or his family or any other serious matters, not until he decided Peter was forgiven for losing what might have been a way for Remus and Sirius to stay in Hogwarts over the summer. Plus, as James pointed out, they weren't entirely sure that Peter could stay in the cloak with them without giving them away to Remus.

"He's not exactly graceful. Just yesterday he nearly tripped us all under the cloak and almost got us caught by Filch," James had pointed out good-naturedly. Sirius had to admit it was a good point not to include Peter in their operation, but he liked his reason better. After all, Peter had never gotten them caught when they were exploring in the cloak, and it made for a good laugh later after they were all safe.

However, other than Remus slowly pulling away and Peter being a big git, things were alright. James had taken to studying with Remus, who he said was an incredible teacher. Definitely much more interesting to listen to on History of Magic than Professor Binns. Sirius would have joined them, Remus had even asked if he would, which made Sirius quite happy, but he had a very important job to do.

Ted Tonks, who he had to admit wasn't a complete wanker, was occupied with his NEWTS which meant Sirius had been spending a lot of time, without Bellatrix knowing, with Drommie. His cousin was very pregnant which was why Sirius was certain she must need his help to be kept as calm as possible about her own NEWTS and everything else, though he wasn't sure she'd agree with him.

Still, Sirius was happy to help. The boy was sure if he showed Drommie how helpful he could be they might let him live with them, or at least let him visit a bunch. Anything was better than a few letters and the occasional picture. He didn't bring it up with Drommie though, not again. Instead, they talked about a lot of other things. Sirius was a little disappointed at finding out Ted's parents would be little Nymphadora's godparents, not him. But Drommie pointed out how young he was and he understood.

After all, he didn't want to raise a baby anytime soon. He made sure to impress this upon Drommie, who had just laughed in response. Of course in his mind, being godparent didn't mean getting the baby and the responsibilities. It just meant spoiling the little twat and getting all the glory, which was definitely a title he could live with. As long as nothing happened to Drommie and even Ted, he supposed. He didn't know how he'd handle things if Drommie died, and after telling her this, she had just laughed and pointed out how healthy she was and that she'd probably live longer than Sirius.

When the NEWTS were done for all the seventh years Sirius got to celebrate with Ted, who was decent enough, he supposed, and Drommie, who let him sip firewhisky for her in her honor. They had a good celebration regardless, even if her pregnancy prevented her from drinking or smoking.

Sirius had enjoyed hanging out on the astronomy tower with them. He decided he needed to make it a place where good memories happened, no longer the place where he remembered McGonnagal's grave face as she told them Remus Lupin was in a coma.

So after much convincing, and having all but to pry the textbooks from Remus' hands, they finally, with only two weeks left until summer vacation, made it to the tower. They all spread out blankets and just talked, mostly about their exams they had taken and the few still hanging over them, but also about all that had happened throughout the year. It had seemed to fly by so fast, and yet Sirius could swear he had known his three friends his whole life.

They just kept talking and talking. If they didn't, the too-quiet moments would fall, and not just between Sirius and Remus. Heavy moments of silence would fall between everyone, made worse and worse the closer to summer it got.

Sirius found it unbearable at the moment, as once more the heavy silence threatened to choke them all.

"Next year, I'm going to find that secret passageway and obliterate all the Slytherins both on and off the pitch," he declared.