Jules and Aleena's Story

Start from the beginning

Aleena looked up in surprise. 

"You mean the floating isle?" she breathed, "But the echidnas are long gone. Their species died out many years ago. They're extinct."

"There must be something guarding the Master Emerald up there," Jules argued quietly, trying to ignore the distant pounding of heavy feet upon the ground, "Even if there isn't, the Chaos Temple will shroud the energy from being detected and hardly anyone even knows Angel Island exists. The 7 Chaos Emeralds ought to be kept there anyway. It's the only safe place we've got."

Aleena gnawed her lip but nodded. They had to find a way to escape and get out with the emerald. If Robotnik got his hands on it...

Suddenly there was a clank of metal and the front door shattered, disintegrating into thousands of wood splinters.

"Jules!" Aleena screeched, jumping to her feet and sheperded away from the door by her husband.

Sat in a round, floating, metal contraption was a human with a wide moustache and twistedly repulsive black and red eyes: Dr Robotnik before he became the insane, delusional, Sonic-loathing Dr Eggman.

"Good evening," he greeted, his contraption - which would one day be called the Eggmobile - humming loudly, "It's late so I won't hassel you long. The emerald?"

Aleena played the part of the terrified housewife while Jules became the well-rehearsed country-bumpkin husband.

"What are you talking about?" he asked, his face awash with innocent terror.

"Don't play that game," Robotnik snarled, "I know it's here. Where is it?"

"We don't know what you mean! Please, sir, what is going on?"

"Ah," the scientist chuckled, "This old charade..." He had to admit, the acting was very good. "Very well," he shrugged, "I'll have my robots reduce your home to rubble, brick by brick, looking for that emerald."

Staying in character, Julius gave a bewildered, plea-ridden cry. "No! Please!" he begged, "Please, sir, my wife...she's... She's..." Robotnik glanced over to the female hedgehog. She had one paw clutching at her shawl while the other was resting on her slightly swollen abdomen.

"Oh, I see," Robotnik smiled, almost affectionately, "I understand. Congratulations. First child?"

Jules trod carefully. 

"First litter," he nodded.

"Oh yes, of course. Litter," Robotnik grunted, "How many?"

"...Three," Aleena squeaked, before anyone else said anything. She could remember the doctor telling her that there were three inside her, growing together. She had been overjoyed.

"Triplets?" Robotnik beamed, "How marvellous! I'm sure you're both very proud." 

Jules moved closer to Aleena, positioning himself so that he was at the best angle to sweep his wife up and make a run for the back door if the danger grew too great.

"In which case," Robotnik went on, "it really doesn't have to go like this. Just hand over the emerald and I'll make sure you both can keep your brood."

Aleena gripped her husband by the arm.

"Get away!" Jules cried, still coming across as a frightened milksop, "We haven't got an emerald."

"No?" Robotnik grinned, bringing his craft to a gentle rest outside the door and stepping from it. "How ignorant do you think I am?" he asked, his sinister voice sighed, "I'm no fool. Your wife, Aleena, is the last descendent of the Royal Hedgehog line and you, Mr Julius, you come from a line equally as long of devoted Royal Knights, yes?"