Chapter Twenty Three | Sealed with a Kiss

Dedicated to ceilingflower for being a brill friend and reader here on wattpad. I've recently started reading 'The Death Cheaters Club' and it's amazing! Go and check her work out C:

"I've got to say, Levi and Ruby, I am not impressed." Mr Morris stands before us with his arms crossed as he stares disapprovingly down at the piece of work we've just handed in to him. To say the least, our homework is pretty bad. Yesterday, after I got home, my mind had been a wandering, chaotic mess for the remainder of the day. I'd completely forgotten the whole reason why we'd gone to the library. And by the time I had, it was morning and too late.

I guess that Levi also forgot because his own notes don't like they been added to since the little work we actually had done.

"I expect this to be redone," Mr Morris says firmly, readjusting his over-sized tortoise shell glasses. "By tomorrow." The way he stresses the last word warns us that there are no exceptions.

I don't even bother sighing or doing anything in retaliation as he walks towards the next table to see their work. We deserve it.

So far, this Geography lesson has been a bit of a disaster. In fact, this whole school day has. So far, I've been getting out of my way trying to confront what happened yesterday. Every time I see Levi I start babbling about something as random as the weather or James Tolley's new haircut and Levi just listens to me quietly along with the others who all look at me like I've gone mad.

A silence settles between us both once Mr Morris is out of earshot. Neither of us knows what to say.

Levi clears his throat. "About yesterday," he says, in a low and almost apprehensive voice. "We don't need to mention it."

As much as he tries to sound casual, there's no denying that there's something there, in his voice. I look and see all the signs of Levi attempting to act nonchalant but there's something in his eyes which tells me doesn't want to write yesterday off as a meaningless time we happened to kiss in the library.

I swallow and that overwhelming sensation returns again. The one I felt yesterday that grips my insides and sends each thought colliding into another.

I realise that I'm not ready. I'm not ready to approach whatever this may be between us and I hate myself for it. I hate the way I'm taking a breath and nodding and telling Levi, "Ok."

I hate the look in his eyes when I say that word, the barely there hurt as he nods, barely inclining his head, before saying, "Ok," in return.

I walk back to my desk before slumping onto my seat. Thalia Willis doesn't bother to even look at me I sit down, as she's nothing but my Geography partner, all our conversations are limited to the work. Today, I couldn't be more thankful for that.

Especially when Imogen's staring at me so suspiciously. She's doing it even now. I glance over at her and see she's already scrutinising me, her hazel eyes as powerful as the worlds' strongest X-ray. I hastily look away.

The last thing I need is Imogen finding out what's happened between Levi and me. It would only end with her either threatening to do in Elle or planning our wedding.

Mr Morris starts the lesson properly, introducing the title for today's work. I immediately scrawl it down, determined to be focused from now on. Our exams are only a few months away now, and every bit of my focus has to go towards them. I think of the grades I want to get and my stomach twinges in nervousness. I have to focus and get the best I can and most definitely not get distracted. Least of all by Levi.

While I attempt to direct all my attention towards what Mr Morris is explaining, I find it increasingly hard to do so. Especially when in the corner of my eye I can see Shannon Bailey leaning across her desk to tap Levi on the shoulder.