Chapter 7

When the lunch bell rang, River bolted out of her seat and practically ran to the lunch room.

She wanted to get out of here as fast as possible and be rid of both Emily and Darius who the rest of the class had been flirting with that bitch.

River stopped her train of thought she didn't even know the girl, River had no rights to call her a bitch even if she had been flirting with River's man.

River stopped her thoughts again. Darius wasn't hers and he never would be.

It would be bad for her health if she started thinking that way especially since she wasn't the healthiest person around.

When River got to the cafeteria she walked straight through to the doors that lead into the open courtyard.

There was one huge tree in the middle and a bunch of smaller trees, just big enough to lean on, all around it. There was a clear field to the side that the guys used to play football or whatever they could.

Lunch was a good hour and a half so River settled herself against one of the farthest trees away from everyone. She settled in by pulling out the book she had gotten from the public library the other day.

She had dropped by the library before getting the eggs maybe if she hadn't.

River dropped the book on the grass.

She pulled her hood closer to her face as she started to hyperventilate, she put her forehead to her knees and tried to calm her breathing.

Tears started to swarm her eyes and then slipped onto her cheeks.

Suddenly she was lifted from the ground and placed in a warm embrace. River was about to scream when the person spoke.

"Shush, Riv I've got you." Darius' smooth timber calmed the nerves that had gone haywire.

He was even able to take away River's panic attack. His warm body reached out to her even through her jacket.

When she was ready River looked up at him, but not before quickly wiping away the tears.

Darius looked so calm and his warm breath was puffing on her forehead. River felt her body relax against her will.

"Darius." Her voice sounded more breathy then anything. His large dark hand came up and brushed away the lock of River's hair that never seemed to stay back. He held it away while placing his palm against her cheek.

His rough hands told River he had worked all his life and not just that but he had done it for a long time but that he liked it or maybe it was the hard look in his eyes that said that.

The warmth sunk into her skin and River sighed. "Your so warm." She breathed.

A soft chuckle vibrated his chest and River cuddled closer. The hand on her face moved and he pulled off her hood then continued by pulling out her hair tie.

He didn't stop there either he started to run his fingers through the length of her hair. River sighed again.

He continued to run his hand through her hair though every once in a while he stopped to massaging her scalp.

"Were you thinking about last night?" The question almost didn't come through but when it did River stiffened. "Shush, shush Riv your safe. I've got you."

"Why are you calling me Riv?"

"Nickname." River looked up into his chocolate brown eyes and realized she was smiling, she kinda liked it.

"Whatever." she said even though she was giddy on the inside. "I've never had a nickname before." Darius' heavy browse drew in.

"Never?" He asked he sounded so confused that River giggled a little and it took her a moment to realize that she didn't laugh she giggled, an almost flirty giggle.