Chapter 12

• Dedicated to Zachary Hoydic

Sorry for not uploading for so long my life has been a bit hectic but I guess now I've been thinking that before I do anything major in my life. Like actually going to boot camp, I want to finish this story. Not only for it's fan but for me. I want to finish this. And I'll even be more determined then my writer's block.

Waking up was hell. River felt as she was wading through mud and she kept getting her feet stuck. She couldn’t see a thing except a nasty vomit yellow sky that felt as if it was watching her. There were no trees to hide behind and she kept moving in that mud to get out.

Hours. That’s what it felt like to River. It felt like it was taking hours to wake up. To trudge through that mud and find herself surrounded in warmth.

River blinked her eyes open and saw only darkness. Most would have been scared but River had never been afraid of the dark, she was more afraid of the monsters that showed themselves.

Her vision won’t clear and she started to lift her hand to touch them but a large hand wrapped around hers. “Don’t.” River didn’t know the voice and thanks to her lack of vision her fears consumed her, she let out a scream that a terrified 5 year old girl would be proud of.

There was a crash from somewhere decently far away then footsteps were pounding their way toward them, River didn’t stop screaming. A door banged open.

“What the fuck?” Snapped a familiar voice. River stopped screaming and tried to get to Darius but she must have been on a bed because when she went to crawl toward him her hands hit air and she face planted into the ground.

“Dar?” she murmured painfully when she felt him lift her from the ground. Everything inside her was sore and her head was pounding to the beat of her weak heart. “What time is it?”

“Just after midnight.” The unfamiliar voice said and a growl rose from Darius chest. River put her hand on his shoulder to calm him; it took far more energy than it should have.

“River,” Darius said softly, although his version of soft was like a car tire slowly driving over rocks, surprisingly pleasant to River’s headache. “Are you alright, baby?”

“Why can’t I see?” River asked. River was placed in the bed and she shifted till she could lie limply without tipping over. “And can I have some Advil, please.” She wanted this headache gone.

“You’ve had two already and the doctor put on some cream to keep your eyes closed.”

“I’m in a hospital?”

“No,” She felt Darius brush a stray hair away from her face and his huge hand cup her face. “You are at my house. I had a private doctor that specializes in this?”

“Specializes in what?” She nuzzled his hand without giving much reaction.

“Uhh,” Darius paused.

“Gang attacks,” Said that voice. “She is used to it and won’t say a thing.”