Chapter 9

River was heartbroken.

She knew he had been lying that he thought he wasn't good enough for her.

It didn't hurt all that much that he knew she wasn't good enough for him. But for some odd reason she couldn't swallow the fact that he didn't want her.

River ran faster than she ever thought she could. She ran straight for the nearest bathroom.

When she burst through the door her body completely soaked by the rain and her eyes puffy and red from the tears still spilling down her cheeks she really didn't want to deal with the girls in the bathroom.

"Get the fuck out!" River nearly screamed at them. There was a slight hesitation then everyone filed out.

River gripped the sink and choked on her tears. She hadn't even kissed Darius and it felt like he had ripped out her heart and stomped on it with spiked boots, probably shitkickers.

River really wanted to believe that he wasn't good enough but she knew better. She knew what classes they were from regardless of the fact they went to the same school they lived different.

River dropped to the floor and cuddled her knees to her chest. It felt like there was a hole in her chest and that hole had managed to set itself on fire.

Suddenly River was pissed at herself. Why in the hell was she crying?

Darius was a known player. He could play a girl like he could play football, which he was a star quarter back, perfect right?

He had played her.

He wanted to score with the lowlife of the school. He probably had thought she would be easy. Probably thought she would be happy to have the attention of Darius Zane.

Rage bloomed in River and the floor shook with the thunder her emotions caused. River whipped her tears roughly from her cheek.

She couldn't really believe she had fallen for that bullshit but then again Darius was an expert.

The rage that lured through her veins was like liquid acid and felt so amazing. River stood and left the bathroom.

Darius was standing outside it. "River-"

"Didn't I tell you never to talk to me again?" Though River was so angry, she could feel the electricity around her, she said it so calmly it was eerie.

"I know but--"

She waved him off. "Then you understand. Now--"

"No!" his voice was like a slap and the people around them stopped and stared. "You don't understand!"

River felt the wind whipped around them. "What don't I understand?" She hissed the words.

"Everything!" His anger was rising at the same rate hers was but she had the power behind her.

"I understand your nothing but a lying player and I want nothing to do with you." River's hair was whipping around her flying everywhere. Where it slapped against her skin red marks were left.

When Darius came at her she didn't feel fear she felt anger and she kind of liked it. "Don't touch me!" he grabbed her forearms in his huge hands and clamped down.

"I can't explain why we can't be together." his words weren't delivered harshly they were just delivered.

"Then leave me alone." River tried to rip out of his hold but he was too strong.

"Not like this." he tried to brush the back of his hand down the side of her face but she slapped his hand out of the way.

"What other way can we leave this?" River was still so angry her head felt too hot.

"I don't know." He said almost defeated.

"Then just leave." River deflated a little bit. Her voice was calm even if she was still angry.

"Riv I just--"

"No." River interrupted him and dropped her head. "You had your fun, just go." his grip tightened till she looked up at him.

 Okay people were really starting to stare some had just plan stopped and were looking at them full on.

"Is that all you thought this was? Fun? Playing around?" River cautiously nodded. He shook her a little. "I admit I didn't see you till last night and didn't notice you till I saw you standing in the night terrified for your life." River barely suppressed her flinch. "But when I did I couldn't stop thinking about you. Like how pale your skin looks against your hair and my skin. Like how your eyes are the most.... different color I've ever seen, in the best way. Or like how truthful and honest you are." Tears filled her eyes. River wasn't really sure what to say. "I couldn't believe when I met you that you've been there the whole time but I just haven't seen. And I know it's not safe but I'm asking you to ignore what I just said a couple minutes ago and be my girlfriend." River's words clogged in her throat. "Or at least just go to the movies with me tomorrow after school." River squeezed her eyes shut. She so badly wanted to say yes but she just couldn't easily forget things like telling someone you don't want to kiss them.

"But you said-"

"I know what I said and to be honest I'm not the best guy for you." River was about to protest but he continued. "And not because I have more money then you or because you think I'm too handsome for you, and you’re wrong about that." River again tried to protest and this time he just covered her mouth with his hand. "Let me finish. I'm dangerous. I couldn't hurt you but there are people that despise me that would hurt you because you’re with me."

"I don't mean anything to you." River was so confused.

"You mean more then you think." he brushed her lips with his thumb. "So much more."

"Prove--" she didn't get to finish. His lips crashed down on hers.

His lips were warm and so soft. They held hers gently. His hands found her hips and pulled her close to him. She reacted immediately; she clutched his massive shoulder with her nails digging in and pulled him as close as she could. His huge hands gripped her ass and pulled her to him.

She melted into his body as the kiss became frenzied. His lips no longer just brushed hers then held hers down and forced them to part. Though forced wouldn't be the right word. He dueled her tongue into submission and a deep rumble escaped him almost as if he was growling. He suddenly ripped away leaving River gasping for breath.

“Did I prove it?” He might as well have snarled at her with his tone, but the look on his face and the bulge in his pants said he wasn’t anger at her in anyway.

“You proved it all right,” River barely got the words out as she dragged in air. She couldn’t help herself but she touched her lips were a tingling sensation still lingered. Darius looked at her strange.

“Was that your first kiss?” River debated on telling him the truth and remembered he hadn’t given her a reason to lie to him so she wouldn’t.

“No,” She looked at the floor. “I stole one from my elementary school crush.”

“Elementary kisses don’t count,” Darius said on a relieved sigh.

“I kissed him when we were fourteen.”

“Who was it?” Darius bit out the words.

“Oh no you don’t,” River grabbed his hand and pulled him back to the cafeteria. “You are not going to ruin this moment with your jealousy.” He growled at her and she looked back at him with her nose screwed up, her eyes tight, and her tongue out.

Before she could do anything, he yanked her back into him and kissed her roughly. He rested his forehead on hers. “Stick that tongue out again, I dare you.”

“Did you just dare me?” River whispered.

“Maybe,” He whispered back. “Why?”

“I can never resist a dare.” Instead of just sticker her tongue out River tilted her head and licked at Darius plush lower lip. He groaned and captured it between his lips and they started another round of kissing.