Chapter 11

River started to hyperventilate the moment she heard that voice. Her lungs seized up, giving her nothing but wheezing breaths and pain. Her vision blurred at the lack of oxygen. And yet she still fought to stay conscience. Something inside her told her not to be completely at the mercy of this man, might have been the sound of fake sugar sweetness in his voice, but who knew.

The humor in her head calmed her enough so her breathing and vision became normal but her fear stayed the same. She slowly turned around and there he was.

Alex stood as tall as she remembered but he was much darker then she remembered. He was a nice lightly creamed coffee color, for an attempted rapist kind of guy.

The scariest part of him that she hadn’t been able to see the other day had been the eyes. His eyes were the nastiest yellow she had ever seen. They looked like they were mixed with vomit green.

River jerked away and fell out of her chair when he tried to touch her face. She quickly got to her feet; she rolled in the process and picked up her phone. She had it dialed to Darius in the next second as she rose facing the other direction. River was beyond glad it was on silent.

“Come out from behind the counter will ya sweets,” River did but on the other side which was a good ten feet away from him. “Come to me.”

“No.” River said and backed up. She knew the phones speaker was loud enough to catch a voice across the library. Darius would hear her. She would be just fine. Unless it went to voicemail.

Stay positive, she told herself.

But when has anyone ever tried to save you, a dark voice whispered in her head. It wasn’t her own it was too masculine and her head rejected the sound. You can’t get rid of me.

“Sweet, come to me now.” Alex’s nasty eyes blazed.

River was about to deny him again but a hand covered her mouth and a thin arm wrapped around her waist. She immediately started kicking the ever living hell out of the shins of the person that held her. Her nails ripped into the skin of the arms that held her.

The person threw her to the ground in front of him and she popped to her feet. She immediately let out a round house kick, although she misjudged his height and instead of kicking his head she got his shoulder he still went flying.

Another set of arms locked around her and she threw her head back and she heard cartilage break and felt the warm gush of blood spilled down her neck. The arms loosened and she spun in them and brought her knee up. When the arms let her go she spun out of them.

The next man came at her like a bull and she quickly spun right before he got to her and brought her elbow down hard to the back of his skull. He turned to her as if she never hit him. They stared off for less than a second before he stepped forward and her hand shot out crushing his Adams apple into his trachea.

The man lost his breath and bent over to try to catch it. River grabbed his thick long curly blond hair and drove him the rest of the way down into her uprising knee. Teeth scrapped into her skin and he fell to the floor.

White teeth gleamed on the blood stained carpet, her boss was going to kill her.

River looked up at Alex who was patiently standing right where he had been.

“Came at me,” River spat. “You coward!” he shifted and walked slowly to her. He didn’t stop a few feet from her like she suspected, he came straight at her. She shot out a right hook that would have dislodged his jaw if he hadn’t caught it. He whipped her around and brought her flush against him. His thin muscular chest moved easily against her shoulder blades and his cinnamon breath fanned over her shoulder.

She thrashed and kicked and screamed till she couldn’t anymore. She sagged against him and he turned her to face him, which sent another set of kicking and screaming he easily diminished by pulling her closer.

When River had no energy left she looked up at him with sneer on her face.

“Oh my pretty Jane,” He whispered. “Zane will be so upset when he finds your body on this carpet, ravished and tortured.” She head-butted him. He didn’t lose his hold on her but the blood pouring from his mouth gave her some satisfaction. His eyes light up and the vomit green became more prominent.

“Suck your balls,” River snapped and was about to head but him again but he put his lips to hers.

River froze solid as a nasty tongue slid into her mouth and she couldn’t taste anything but copper and cinnamon. Her gag reflex rose and she wanted to barf but it wouldn’t come up completely it was stuck in her throat.

“That’s right sweet,” Alex purred against her lips. “Taste my blood.” Alex’s long boney fingers grabbed a hold of her ass just as his knee pushed between her thighs. River screamed and Alex yanked himself away clutching at his ears.

Terror flashed through River and she spun to run, tears clouding her vision. She ran into something solid and arms came around her. Fearing it was one of the men she had fought earlier she lashed out, kicking and punching as hard as she could.

“Riv,” The dark rusty voice broke through her hysteria and she sagged against Darius. “Are you alright?” River eyes darted around the room, her head was buzzing and she couldn’t think.

The panic attack she was having was too much, she was going to pass out.

Right before her vision went out and River lost consciousness she looked over at the blood stains on the floor of the library and the men gone.