Chapter 1

Edited by CrazyJaimeO_o becuase Dear God Snowstorm99 can't edit for her life. But she's pretty good about it, sorta . . .

* * * *

It was a cold night and River McKaren was freezing. She hated the cold more then anything; hated it because she could never seem to get warm enough. Her skin, no matter where you touched it, was like ice. But that was because River was special. Most girls in high school want to be special but River didn't, she wanted normal. She could bend the elements to her will and sure it was fun and sometimes came in handy, but it made her different. Well . . . more different than she already was.

She lived in the slums. Went to the school where the "bad" kids went. And when she means bad she didn't just mean needs an attitude adjustment but the ones that joined gangs. Kids that have killed, raped, and did drugs. She was scared shitless and that made her powers go crazy. Like now when she was walking back to her house after getting some eggs for her mom at the store.

River sighed. She would much rather be out here then have her mom out here.

While River was around 5'4, a decent enough height, her mother was barely 5 foot even. River had dark mahogany hair that curled to her waist when she took it down from her bun, while her mother had white blonde hair and River's face was more rounded and rougher then her mom's pixie face was. River would question if she was really was her mother's daughter, but it couldn't be denied when you looked at their eyes. Not only were their eyes unusual, they were the exact same colour, though River's were just a little bit darker. River shared her mother's uncanny violet eyes. They were truly purple eyes. It freaked people out when they saw them so River kept sunglasses on during school and kept her head down.

A gust of wind hit River and rushed down her spin. Her sad excuse for a jacket could barely cover her, it was so small, and she shivered. A trash can fell down next to her from the wind and she jumped. Looking around, the shadows seemed to move and her heart began to beat faster. River speed up. If she took the alley on her right she could be home in minutes, but it was dark and no one went down there except the homeless guys and the smokers from her school. Or she could just walk around the buildings and possibly freeze her feet off.

River took the alley, speeding her way down it when halfway through she could sense someone near. She risked a quick glance over her shoulder but she saw nothing. She breathed a sigh of relief, but when she turned back around a tall man stood in front of her. River skidded to a hault and backed up.

"What's a pretty thing like you doing out this late?" he sneered, coming forward.

River sucked in a breath to scream but a hand from behind her clamped down on her mouth. She fought its hold until another came up her throat and she felt cold metal press to to her throat. The bag of eggs dropped to the ground beside her and she heard them break. The crack echoing in the alley's darkness.