Chapter Fourteen

*Natalia's POV*

        We rounded the corner and into another hallway. At the end of the hallway was one room. Like I suspected, we entered the room. This room's different than the room that I was staying in. Instead of it having beds and medical equiptment, the room had different cubicles, kind of like an office. JJ rolled me down to the end of the room. As we went past the spaces, I noticed that there was no one in any of the rooms. Instead, there was only one thing. Finally, JJ stopped the wheelchair in front of a cubicle with only a telephone. "Well, here you are. Your mom is already on the other side of the line," she said. JJ then turned around and left the room. 

        "Thank you," I yelled after her. She turned around, nodded, then continued on her way. I turned around to face the phone, but it was too far away for me to reach. "Why didn't she wheel me in all the way?" I though out loud. I mustered all of my energy to get my wheelchair to move the seven feet between me and the telephone. Finally, I got to the telephone. I picked up the reciever and spoke into it.

        "Hello? Mom, are you there?"

        "Hey, Talia. Are you feeling okay?" I heard my mother's voice on the other side say.

        "Well, considering the fact that I am at a hospital and not well enough to leave, no," I replied in a serious, but joking manner.

        My mother laughed at my reply. "Well, you might think that you aren't okay, but I firmly think otherwise. You are healthy enough to joke around with me. How about this," she continues speaking, "i am going to bring you a get-well present tomorrow. What would you like?"

        I think back to the conversation I had with Ender about watching a movie. "There's this movie that I really want to see. It's called Ender's Game. You know, the story by Orson Scott Card? Anyways, I know it has already come out on DVD and there is a TV in my room. Do you think you can go get that for me?" The other side of the line goes silent, and suddenly, there is a loud bang as the phone falls on the ground.