Chapter 23: The Stars Align in Spring

The dawn was breaking through Kunimitsu’s window and the light was piercing his eyes which were still lazily shut. It was not like him to still be in bed at this hour of day. He was so used to getting up and jogging around the neighbourhood even before the sun shone. Nevertheless, today was different, he just wanted to lie in bed and keep his eyes shut. Because today he woke up with his heart overwhelmed with joy. Because last night he dreamt of her, but unlike the dreams, he’s been having for the past how many years, in his dream, she was not crying, she was smiling the way she used to, the way he knew she does. So lazily, he opens his eyes, turns to his side and smiles. Ami, I finally saw you smile again, even if only in my dreams.

It’s been six years since he met the girl in the mirror; it’s been five and a half years since he fell in love with her; it’s been five years since he last saw her face, last heard her voice. It’s been so long, yet, to him, it was as if it was yesterday. Because he always looked forward to tomorrow, because he did not dwell in the yesterdays. To Tezuka Kunimitsu, each tomorrow is one-step closer to seeing her again, and maybe, to finally holding her in his arms.

---oOo---

She forgot to untie her curtains last night, so today as the sun shone through her bedroom window she promptly covers her eyes to block the reality that, yes, it was morning. She rubs her eyes and turns to her side, she sees her reflection in the newly installed mirror in her room, she smiles, it was her room, it was not her dorm room, it was her room, hers. However, more than being home, more than waking in her own bed, she was smiling because last night she dreamt of him. But unlike the nightmares that she had been having all these years, they were not arguing, they were laughing. Laughing the way they used to, the way she knew they would. Mitsu, somehow, I miss you even more.

It’s been six Springs since she first held a cherry blossom in her hand; it’s been five Summers since she first heard him say ‘Aishiteru’, it’s been five Autumns since she last laughed with no regrets; it’s been five Winters since she saw the mirror crashing down on her. The years have dried up the tears, it has warmed up the heart, she still looked forward to each morning. Because to Amani Pei, each morning means, she survived another day without him, and each morning means, that she’ll survive another day, if only to find him once again.

---oOo---

“Ohayou Tezuka!” Oishi greeted his best friend as they met up at the gate of the University.

“Ohayou Oishi!” Kunimitsu greeted back.

“Another term is almost over.” Oishi said with a smile.

“Aa. Before you know it, you’ll be a doctor.” Kunimitsu nodded to his best friend.

“Ohayou Minna!” Fuji greeted as he tried to catch up with the two.

“Ohayou!” Oishi and Kunimitsu greeted back.

“Oi, Tezuka, do you have any plans tonight?” Fuji asked as he walked beside the two.

“Betsuni.”

“Good. We have a reunion dinner at Taka-san’s tonight, you’ll attend right?” Fuji half asked, half demanded.