Chapter 10 - Flirting

Start from the beginning

"They are getting stronger by the day, if we do not finish them now - we will face a greater threat in the future."

"We can't kill them all Thomas, we need their blood."

"That's what the human farms are for!" Human farms, that's where the vampires kept and bred the humans for their blood. It was disgusting and cruel, they treated the entire race like animals.

"Its. Not. Enough." A third voice said. "We need colonies of humans to feed us all."

"What if they get strong enough? They are building weapons, weapons that could kill vampires! My sources are saying they are close to completing it"

"Don't be ridiculous, they could never defeat us. We will overpower them easily." It was a familar voice this time. Nathaniel.

"My King-"

"Enough Thomas, I have made my decision. We will proceed as normal." I heard him get out of the chair and walking quickly towards the door I was hiding behind. 

Before I had the chance to move, a hand was cupped over my mouth and I was dragged behind a corner. My eyes widened, cold sweat beating down my face. I was caught. I struggled hard against the stranger, but he gripped me tightly, clamping his hand over my mouth so I couldn't make a sound.

Once Nathaniel was out of sight and the rest of the people in the room had left, the stranger loosened his grip on me and let me go. I was about to run when he said with a light chuckle "Don't be afraid. It's just me."

I turned around, it was hard to make out his features in the dark. He stepped into the light, his blue eyes was what I remembered first. They were curved into a smile. "Benjamin?"

"You remember," he replied, still smiling.

"How long were you there behind me?"

"Long enough to catch you eavesdropping," He reached his hand over my head, ruffling my hair slightly.

"Hey!"

"You shouldn't be sneaking around like that Ara. If you were caught, it wouldn't be pretty."

"Well, why were you sneaking up on me then?" I squinted my eyes at him.

He put his hands up defensively, "Alright, alright. We're equal then."

"I wasn't eavesdropping. I lost my way." I stated confidently.

"Where were you trying to go?" He asked, tucking his hands into the pockets of his jeans. I gave him an up-down, he was dressed casually today. A navy blue pullover that had a small logo of a man on a horse, and fitting jeans. 

"The dining hall," I lied, again. I was getting better at this lying thing.

He let out a laugh and slung his hand over my shoulder. "Come with me, I'll lead the way."

"It's alright, I'll find it myself." I huffed.

"No, no, no. I insist. Come on babe, I'm hungry too," He started walking, dragging me along with him.

"Don't call me that, i'm not your babe," I said grumpily.

He grinned all the way to the dining hall, then picking out a table nearest to the window - the quietest corner since most of the other vampires shunned the sun.

"I thought you vampires didn't like the sun," I said as I chewed on my spaggheti.

He shrugged, "I like the sun. It's nice. Gives me a nice glow," He pointed at his perfect, blemish free skin as if to prove his point. His bright blue eyes seemed to have gold flecks dancing in it under the sunlight. Then he smiled and returned back to his food.

___________________________________________________________________

We had a nice chit chat throughout the meal, I learned that he was here only temporarily, home for him was north of the country - where most of it was savaged by war. He sought shelter from the violence here, not wanting to be caught in the middle of the fight. He seemed like a fairly good guy, for a vampire. We enjoyed the same things, art, music and nature. So we became fast friends.

He showed me the museums  (yes, the castle had museums - several of them in fact) which housed beautiful and rare paintings collected over the centuries. Paintings and sculptures thought to be lost over the years, admist the fighting and rampage. We spent most of our day there, admiring the paintings. 

The last museum was the furthest, and most exquistely decorated. The paintings were framed with gold, placed against clean white walls. The floors were entirely marble, and gleamed against the harsh ceiling lights. 

 "Cafe Terrace At Night? How did you get this? I stared in awe at the masterpiece.

"My cousin has his ways" He said with a little smile.

"Who is your cousin?" 

"The King, Nathaniel Devin."

My stomach lurched at his name and I quickly looked away before Benjamin could sense anything amiss. "Oh," was all I let out. That made Benjamin a prince, a pureblood too. "Show off," I joked.

He laughed again, his cheeks forming soft and almost unnoticable dimples. I noticed dhere were dancing gold flecks in his eyes again. "Do your eyes always do that? That gold sparkle you have?"

"Only when I'm happy" He smirked down at me, ruffling my hair gently "You make me happy."

_________________________________________________________________________

 Benjamin again on the right >

Thank you for your votes and lovely comments, do keep it coming (especially the comments!) I would love to hear more from you guys. I hope all of you are enjoying the story so far! <3