Chapter 26 - Run Baby Run

Benjamin's POV

Something was wrong. It had gotten too late for Arabella to be wondering out about alone. She should have been in her room by now, she always was. The guards have been searching for her, pacing up and down the castle grounds, sheer panic on their faces. They knew the consequences if anything should happen to the King's beloved.

"Follow me," I instructed a group of guards. They nodded their heads, keeping up behind me without hesitation. The air was unusually chilly, after all these years, i still hated the cold. I thought of Ara, and hoped she wasn't out there in the forest in this weather. But my gut feeling told me the forest was where I had to look.

I traced the outskirts of the forest, trying to pick up on her scent. The guards tailed closely behind, shining their torches in all directions. It didn't take me long for me to pick up her distinct vanilla scent, and true enough I found her clothes hidden behind a tree. I frowned, this meant she had shifted and probably wandered far into the woodland.

"Pick up the pace," I said over my shoulder as I ran deeper into the woods, occasionally stopping to check I was heading in the right direction. My fears grew as we headed deeper, and deeper into the forest. We were way past the palace territory now, and Ara was still nowhere to be found.

It was getting harder to conceal the fear I felt, not of the dark or the cold, but the one I felt for the most precious thing in this world to me. I willed myself to run faster, I had to find her before anything happened to her, I would never be able to forgive myself otherwise.

With every passing second that she wasn't found, my anxiety tenfold. Panic and fear gripped me as I thought of every possible scenario that might be playing out, my imagination was getting the better of me. I have never felt this afraid in centuries.

Her scent was getting stronger. She was close.

"Ara!!!" I called out. And the guards behind me began to echo, "Lady Arabella!"

I tried to block out all my other senses, focusing only on my scent and sight. Pushing through thick groves and leaves, I continued calling out her name. Then I caught sight of creamy flesh lying in contrast to the dark leaves of the forest floor.

Ara, my brain registered.

I rushed to her side, gulping hard at her naked body. I took her pulse and scanned her body for injuries. She didn't look to be hurt, and I let out a small sigh of relief. Quickly, I took off my coat and wrapped it around her.

I lifted her up bridal style. The guards shot me curious glances, but a look of warning dismissed all subsequent stares. I felt Arabella shift in my arms, snuggling deeper against my chest.

As we made our way back to the castle I stared down at her, she looked so beautiful under the moonlight. Her long lashes formed shadows on her cheek bones, her cheeks let off a faint blush. It was then I noticed, without a doubt, the presence of tear stains on her cheeks.

When we reached her chambers, I lay her down gently on the bed. I ran a towel underneath warm water, squeezing off the excess. Then with the damp cloth, i wiped her porcelain skin of the dirt. I tried not to stare, but I could not help but marvel at the beauty of her body. I've been with countless women, but never have I laid eyes upon something as perfect as Ara was. After I had gotten most of the grime off her body and face, I let her maids help her slip into something comfortable before I tucked her softly into bed.