Twelve

TWELVE

Duke wandered through the town's only general good's store, picking up some items that he knew Amelia would need for her new home. The first forty-eight hours after arriving in Spruce Hill had been a whirlwind of events, not only for him but for Amelia and her family. He wanted to find some private time to talk to her, but it seemed that it wasn't happening soon enough.

She'd mentioned in one of their brief conversations last night that Gracie was not the mayor's daughter. Amelia had mentioned questioning the little girl and what she remembered about her father, and Amelia let him know what the girl's answer was. He was relieved, and yet at the same time, he was left more confused than ever. Last evening before the telegraph office closed, he'd sent a message to Mayor Tidwell, letting him know Duke was in Spruce Hill but that he hadn't found his daughter. Duke had requested that the mayor come to Spruce Hill and meet so that they could discuss what to do next.

It really worried Duke that Amelia's name was in connection with the disappearance of his daughter, Georgia. This case needed to be solved soon. And... it was time he started thinking of his future and what he really wanted.

Seeing Dinah again after two years startled him more than he'd been prepared for, but it also got him thinking about what he really wanted out of life. He was lonely – that was a given with his lifestyle. Could he give up the profession he loved just to live in a small town for the rest of his life? And what would he do when all he knew was hunting down criminals... and working with horses. That left two kinds of jobs for him to do in Spruce Hill. He could either become the sheriff or a deputy, or he could work at a livery. Neither of those places would pay him the kind of money he had been getting as a bounty hunter.

But was money worth having if he didn't have a family to share it with?

"Did you need any help, sir?"

The sweet voice of an older woman had him turning to see who was talking to him. As he looked into the hazel eyes of the storekeeper's wife, all he could think about was that she was the perfect image of a grandmother. He'd not know his grandparents, but the woman's kind eyes and endearing smile made him want to adopt her as his grandmother.

"No, I'm just browsing. My friend and her family have just moved into a cabin, and I thought to get them a few things since they have nothing."

The older woman's eyes widened. "Nothing at all?"

"Nothing at all. They came from Idaho with only a few changes of clothes and a little food."

"Oh, heavens!" She lifted her hand to her throat. "That's unacceptable. I must let the Sheriff know. He'll find a bunch of people in town who can donate some furniture and other necessities. Spruce Hill has always had townsfolks who'd give the shirt off their backs if they had to. You and your friend will love it here."

He opened his mouth to correct her and let her know that he might not be staying, but then he couldn't say the words. He couldn't even think of saying goodbye to Amelia because the twisting pain in his heart wouldn't allow it.

"Thank you, Mrs..." He arched an eyebrow. "I don't believe I know your name."

"I'm Mrs. Densley. And you are?"

"I'm Duke Logan." He shook hands with her. "It's a pleasure to meet you, ma'am, and I can't wait for you to meet my friend, Mrs. Florence, and her family."

The old woman sighed wistfully. "Florence, you say? My daughter's married name is Florence."

"Really? What a coincidence. I wonder if they are somehow related?"