Four

FOUR

Duke couldn't sleep for two reasons. One, that he had to listen in case their small camp was attacked by midnight bandits. He too had heard stories of camps being attacked and items were stolen and women violated. Thankfully, he hadn't heard of people dying, but there was always a first time.

The second reason why he couldn't sleep is because every time he closed his eyes, his memory replayed Amelia's angelic voice and he imagined her beautiful face as she was signing. The questions that swam in his head kept him awake, too. Why would such a kind-hearted woman kidnap a child and murder her employer?

During his life as a bounty hunter, he had thought the person he hunted down was the bad guy, but now he had doubts. Was Amelia really pretending or was she indeed, an evil person? What was the real story? There had to be one that made sense, because a woman with a voice like hers who cared for a child that's not her own, couldn't be a criminal.

He must get to know her better. If only Theo could talk, maybe that man would help Duke decide what he needed to know. Unfortunately, all he had was Amelia and her story. He also could ask Gracie, but she was only five and she probably didn't know what really happened, either.

Both he and Theo had their bedrolls under the wagon, but the older man was already asleep and snoring lightly. Maybe that was another reason Duke couldn't sleep. He wasn't used to anyone snoring around him.

He rolled to his side and peered at the ground toward the fire pit. The fire had gone out, and the wind had picked up speed. Nothing that he couldn't handle, but it made listening for people sneaking around camp a little harder. The clouds covered the moon most of the time, which made watching for something suspicious more difficult. Yet, for some reason, he heard every sigh Amelia made and every time she shifted in the wagon.

He would never get any sleep now. He wasn't sure what time it was, but it had to be way past midnight. Perhaps even three or four in the morning.

The snapping of a stick brought his thoughts to a sudden halt. Then another stick snapped. Their intruder was either a large animal – or a two-legged animal with a gun. He wasn't looking forward to going up against either one.

Something out of the corner of his eye caught his attention. There was movement by the fire pit. Men's boots. But so far, he only noticed one man. The man's boots moved toward the horses that were tied up to the tree.

Slowly, Duke slid his hand under his blanket and took hold of his gun. If that man even tried to steal one the horse's, that would be the last bad decision the poor fool made. Duke would make sure of it.

Trying to be quiet, he slid out of his bedroll and crawled out from under the wagon. As Duke kept his eyes on the horse thief, he stood and gripped his gun tighter. So far, the thief hadn't looked back at the camp. Instead, he seemed preoccupied with trying to saddle one of the horses.

Each step closer to the bandit, Duke's heartbeat pounded faster. He was thankful that this man was working alone. Duke would definitely be able to handle taking down two men, but not anymore.

Finally, he reached the bandit and cocked his gun. The thief froze.

"Slowly put your hands in the air where I can see them," Duke instructed. "I'm not about to let you steal from me."

The clouds still blocked most of the moon's light, and with the man's back toward Duke, he couldn't quite see what the thief's hands were doing. He gritted his teeth. If he had to get rough, he would.

"Apparently, you don't know how to follow instructions. Either that or you don't speak English." Duke had ruled out deafness since the man had heard the cock of the gun.