Three

THREE

Amelia bent over the fire as she stirred the pot of beans. The night had come faster than she'd wanted, which meant they had to stop. She was anxious to get to Spruce Hill. All she'd been able to think about since escaping the orphanage, was going to Spruce Hill to see if her grandparents still lived there. For sixteen years, she'd wondered why her grandparents never came to find Amelia and her siblings at the orphanage after their parents had died. Or had they even known their grandkids were without parents?

She sighed and sat back down on the tree stump. Maybe her grandparents were dead, too. Either way, Amelia would start a new life in Spruce Hill with her daughter and Uncle Theo. She could become a teacher, or a seamstress, or she could work at a hotel and clean room. Theo would be a good lumberjack, she was sure. With any luck, perhaps Amelia would find a man to fall in love with – one who loved her unconditionally. One who she could confess the truth to. But right now, she must pretend to be a widow... and a mother.

Gracie's cheerful laugh brought Amelia out of her thoughts as she looked toward the wagon at the girl and Mr. Logan. He was a very attractive man, especially when he smiled. He'd been doing that quite often when he talked with Gracie, and the girl seemed to love the attention. Mr. Logan had found a bunch of hand-size sticks and they were building a house, or at least it resembled a house until Gracie bumped into it, knocking the structure down. They both laughed heartily, but it was Mr. Logan's baritone voice that made Amelia's breath catch.

She still couldn't believe how he'd caught her from falling out of the wagon earlier today. Embarrassment grew inside her again from just recalling the way his strong hands held onto her waist, and the way his gray eyes held her gaze captive. Heat slowly filled her remembering how his wide shoulders were incredibly muscular. His mesmerizing gaze made her heart flutter... and heavens, why she had looked at his mouth, she'd never know – and she'd never do again, for that matter.

Sitting beside Amelia, Theo bumped her arm. She looked at him and he began signing. It's good to see Gracie smile again.

Amelia nodded and signed back. We've only been gone a week, but she acts like she doesn't remember the orphanage.

He sighed and frowned. I'm trying to forget, too.

Her heart twisted. Most everyone who had lived at that place had been affected one way or another. She had been a young girl when she'd heard the rumors that the Stone's had been upset at Theo for breaking the fence, that they repeatedly kicked him in the ear, which caused him to go deaf.

She signed. From now on, let's pretend that place never existed. I want a new life and new memories.

He smiled weakly. Me, too.

She moved off the stump again to stir the beans in the pot, cooking over the fire. Another reason she couldn't wait to get to Spruce Hill was that she was tired of the limited food they had. They'd spent more money on clothes and blankets in order not to look like runaways from the orphanage, which didn't leave them a lot to spend on food. She reminded herself that they were very fortunate to find all of that money on the floor... and that Mr. Stone slept through it.

The beans were soft and steam rose from the pan. Hopefully, they were cooked well enough, because she was hungry and tired... but more importantly, she was ready for tomorrow to arrive.

"I think the food is done," she said loud enough for the laughing pair on the other side of the fire to hear.

Gracie jumped up and rushed to Amelia's side. She spooned a good portion of beans on a plate and handed it to her along with a spoon. Gracie carried her plate and sat by Theo. Amelia lumped the beans on another plate and handed it to Mr. Logan.