Speculation - Chapter 5

Start from the beginning

And now, as he stood looking out over his workers and his vast empire, he wondered how things had come to this point.

In truth, deep within him he knew. Not only had the unskilled Irish workers he hired during the strike over a year ago set him back by producing poor quality cloth, it caused one of his largest orders to go unfilled. And now since the failed speculation, cotton stock was dropping drastically as the American's quickly flooded the market causing orders that once went to Marlborough Mills to go over seas. Then, much to his chagrin the winter weather still held even though it was nearing late spring. It was a sure sign of a cool summer and little need of cotton cloth.

Mr. Thornton was now faced with a situation he could no longer avoid, while he was not in the position of closing down Marlborough Mills like some of the other mill owners had,he did realize that he would have to scale back the running of his mill and let some workers go. That was what hurt him the most. His workers were hard working men and in recent months he had gotten to know many of them and came to see them not just as workers but men, good men that were not really that different from himself. And thanks to Margaret one man in particular stood out, Nicolas Higgins. It was through various interchanges they both came to understand each other better. The words of William Wordsworth came to Thornton's mind at the moment " We have all of us one human heart". In truth he found that Higgins was a man full of character with strong human feeling and a keen, sharp sense of humor.

He especially valued this new friendship and it was due to these many interchanges that led to the scheme of the workers canteen. Mr. Thornton felt that if food was bought in bulk it could be cooked for many thus reducing the cost for meals and all the workers, especially the children could afford a fit a meal a day. Higgins' had noticed an old unused building out back that would work perfectly as a kitchen but also had room where the men could also dine, thus the idea was brought to reality, and while Mrs. Thornton strongly disapproved of the whole notion, the workers canteen was a huge success.

For these men, he had to find a way to keep his mill running even if it meant cutting back, letting some workers go. It was a price he was willing to pay in hopes that he could turn things back around.

As Mr. Thornton stood,still surveying the workings of the mill he clenched his jaw, lifting his chin with an air of proud defiance. He would not despair, not yet. He still had some plans, experiments really that were dear to his heart. Time, he just need time to bring them to realization and if he could just keep the mill running he just might be able to pull himself out of the financial dilemma he was now facing. With that though in mind he turned and walked with determined strides back to his desk and the task at hand.

The morning hours quickly passed by as Mr. Thornton pored over various documents and ledgers and he soon found that it was nearing upon noon. Furrowing his brow and pinching the bridge of his nose he leaned his elbow on the desk; it was done. He had finally come to a decision as to which operating lines he would shut down and which men he would have to let go. It was one of the hardest decision he ever had to make,for it was a decision that affected the lives of so many.

So deep in thought was he that he never heard Mr. Williams enter his office. With a feeling of awkwardness he made an attempt to rouse Mr. Thornton out his deep thoughts.

"Ummm, excuse me Mr. Thornton, I need a word with you."

Mr. Thornton's head snapped up to full attention his eyes quickly focusing on Mr. Williams. With more sharpness then he intended he replied " What is it?"

Mr. Williams, accustomed to Mr. Thornton's turns of temper was unfazed by the sharp tone, and calmly proceeded on with the unpleasant news he had to deliver. "It's Mr. Watson Sir. It has come to my attention that the children working on his line have been deprived of their lunch time meals..."

Thornton quickly interrupted, an intense fire shown in his eyes as he looked fully upon Mr. Williams. "How long? How long has this been going on?"

"I am not sure sir, but from what I found it has been going on for a couple weeks with out my knowing."

Mr. Thornton raised his hand to his mouth covering a silent curse, and in a moment of complete angered frustration he slammed his hand onto his desk, upsetting a ink well in the processes. Since taking Mr. Watson on as a foreman he discovered that he needlessly beat some of the workers, and extorted huge fines from the women and children. Mr. Watson had been warned on several occasions of this unacceptable conduct and upon hearing of this most recent atrocity it was, in Mr. Thornton's eyes, the proverbial last straw.

Mr. Williams had never seen Mr. Thornton look so enraged and quickly spoke " What would you like me to say to Mr. Watson sir?"

Mr. Thornton's eyes turned a frigid ice blue as his deep voice dropped lower taking on a glacial tone that chilled Mr. Williams blood.

" Nothing! It is time I spoke to Mr. Watson, to my brother in law myself! Make certain the children are fed, I will take care of Mr. Watson, this ends today!" Mr. Williams gave a quick nod, not saying a word and quietly slipped out of Mr. Thornton's office, glad he would not have to witness the confrontation soon to follow between the two men.

To be continued.....

©2010, leah147, All Rights Reserved.