Part 2 :- 'Better' or 'Worse'

Start from the beginning

YiJun answers from the couch where he has buried his face in his hands, "Why would I lie to you, Uncle?... I tried, but... "

"Why is it happening? Since when?"

YiJun looks up. His face flushed with embarrassment. "Just after dawn, when I left Xian and walked out."

Shen chuckles. "Finally, you know how it feels to have no control...After decades, I have seen you display so many emotions. It's refreshing."

"Uncle, this is no laughing matter. What should I do now?"

Before Shen can answer, there is a knock at the door, and a man dressed in staff-uniform, walks in. "Master Lan, there is a police officer at the door, and he is asking for an audience."

"Bring him in, what are you waiting for?" Wangji orders.

"Master, I asked him, but he refused. He wants to see you outside."

"Why?"

"He says...." The man gulps before continuing, "He says that he doesn't want to get enchanted by you."

"What!?"

Shen walks towards the door, "I will take care of this matter. Till then, I think you should use this situation to your advantage."

Shen chuckles again before walking out, closing the door behind him.

YiJun walks to his room and sits next to his bed. "Xian, I am going to be gone for the whole day. I will see you at dusk." YiJun kisses the man in his bed and covers him with a blanket. Then something occurs to him, "Xian, is it you this time? Have you truly returned? Is what uncle has been telling me all these years, finally coming true?" YiJun asks the sleeping man in his bed. As always, the sleeping man doesn't respond or move.

YiJun continues to sit next to the bed for a few minutes; Like he is expecting the sleeping man to wake; to move; to answer him.

But as always, nothing happens, and YiJun finally leaves the room.

*Outside Lan Mansion*

Shen walks to the main gates and finds a man dressed in a black cardigan and muddy boots, waiting for him. The man has something in his mouth.

'Is that a lollipop?' Shen wonders, walking closer. It is indeed a lollipop that the man, the police officer, is sucking on. Shen shakes his head disapprovingly and wonders, 'How unprofessional! Is he really with the law enforcement?' Nonetheless, Shen walks out and greets the unprofessional man, "Good morning, officer... "

"Bai Zhau." The police officer smiles, extending his hand towards Shen and introducing himself.

"Officer Bai, how how can I help you?" Shen replies, taking the officer's hand and shaking it firmly.

The officer checks him out from head to toe before smiling cockily. He removes the offensive lolly from his mouth, "You look nothing like the pictures I have seen gracing the magazine covers."

"Mn?"

"The pictures.... they don't do justice to you, Mr. Lan." Bai Zhau says, before winking at Shen. Shen blinks several times, 'Is he flirting with me???' He gulps and corrects the man's error, "Officer, there seems to be a misunderstanding. I am Wangji's uncle, Zhu Shen. Wangji is busy and can't talk to you at the moment."

Bai Zhau gasps in mock surprise, "I am sorry, but I don't believe you. You are too good-looking, I mean, you look too young to be anyone's uncle."

'What the hell????' Shen doesn't understand what the officer is trying to get at.

"Officer- " Shen starts but, Bai Zhau cuts him off, "Please call me Zhau... Or Yunlan."

"Officer." Shen continues sternly, "I am a busy man, can you please tell me how I can help you?"

"Ah, yes... Sorry, your beautiful face distracted me." Zhau chuckles, and Shen's eyes widen; his eyebrows disappear into his hairline. Zhau continues, "Shen. Can I call you Shen? Well, Shen, I am here because a car, registered under Mr. Lan's name, was found at the scene of a murder."

Shen keeps a straight face, "Can I take a look at the car details, please?"

Bai Zhau walks towards Shen, and standing closer than necessary, hands over the documents to him.

Shen goes through the documents, "Officer, this is indeed our company car, but it had gone missing a couple of days ago."

Bai Zhau takes the documents back, "I know. But I would still like to look into the matter."

"Any particular reason?"

Bai Zhau smiles brightly, "Because you are cute, and this will give me a reason to see you again."

"Officer, please. The truth. Now."

Bai Zhau's expression changes, "We have witnesses that have confirmed Mr. Lan's presence at the scene of the crime a few minutes before the victim's estimated time of death."

"Wangji didn't do it. I can assure you." Shen says confidently.

Bai Zhau once again invades Shen's personal space and whispers in his ears, "I know. I looked into the matter, and the CCTV footage we found near the crime scene tells a different story. Shen, I like you; I will let you in on a secret." Bai Zhau pauses and looks at Shen's face, "Shen, do you believe in vampires?"

{Note:- Word Count 1399

Please Vote to show your support for this update.

Thank you for reading.

Have a nice day.}