Bounty Hunters

I pick the back end of my shoe out from beneath my heel as I stumble out of the door with Huey. He bought me a t-shirt from the store last night. It's oversized and goes down to my thighs, but oversized tops are in right now.

We're going to search for them again today.

"How are we supposed to find them in this big city?" I ask on our way to the elevator.
"Well, they're obviously out doing expensive things and buying expensive clothes, so I thought we would hit some designer stores to look for them there first."
I smile. A collage of Gucci two pieces from my Pinterest showers my mind.
"Oooh, sounds fun."
"Remember, Jazmine, we have to keep an eye out. This is not an adventure. I don't wanna see you trying on a pair of shoes while Riley and Cindy could be goofing off somewhere nearby."
I sigh, "OK, Party Pooper."

We drive to Manhattan.

First, we hit a Louis Vuitton on East 57th Street. As soon as we step inside, the employees give us weird looks. I follow Huey during our search through the store, but so does a middle aged employee lady, dressed in a business suit with a slick back bun. It makes me uncomfortable. I can tell it's annoying Huey.

Something to take my mind off of it is a beautiful strawberry pink Birkin bag on display in the handbags section. I pause and grab it from its shelf. In my peripheral, the lady tenses up ready to pounce if needed.

"Jazmine, c'mon," Huey says.
"Huey, it's so cute!" I squeal. "Can you believe that North got this for Christmas? Stormi wanted one too, but instead she got a whole house. Can you believe that? A house."
"Yeah, I'm sure the Kardashians could buy a whole plantation of slaves if they wanted, now let's go."

Reluctantly, I take a yearning glance between the bag and him. I put it back. The clerk relaxes. This seems to piss him off.

"You know what?" he says. "I'll buy you the bag."
My eyes widen. "Huh?"
He makes sharp eye contact with the lady. "I'll buy you the bag," he repeats.

I grab another copy of the bag from a rack of them. We go to the checkout, and the lady finally stops following us but just watches from afar.

Huey swipes his card, paying for the $1,000 bag. Thankfully, it's on sale and that's all it costs.

I look over my shoulder at the annoying clerk. Previously watching with an annoyed glare, she looks away once we make eye contact.

I want to squeal as we leave the store. I cradle my new bag in my arms and hug it.

"Huey, you really didn't have to do that just to prove a point."
"Hey, someone's gotta open their eyes." He shrugs.

We search some other designer stores all over the city until noon. Then, we decide to go to eat out for lunch. We find a nice Thai food joint to eat at and sit at a table outside. There's a beautiful view of the tramway from here.

"We should go on the tram," I say. "What if they went to a whole other borough?"
"That's what I'm scared of," he says.

Exhausted by the search, he rests his hand on his fist and eats his food. I eat as well with the fear that we may never find them in such a big city.

After lunch, we head to the station and wait to buy tickets for the tram. We watch as a tram comes back to the station from a trip. In the group of passengers waiting to get on, I spot the same blonde tresses and black cornrows from last night. Reality grasps me and I tap Huey as we buy our tickets.

"They're getting on that cable car!" I exclaim.

I point to them as they board the tram.

Huey snatches our tickets, takes my wrists, and darts off like a dog towards the car.