The Freeman

I've never been alone with a boy before. Well, not in a house. My parents wouldn't let me. Believe it or not, guys have asked me out before, but it was just the ones who didn't go to Millard Creek, so they didn't know me as the "nerdy prude". Some would ghost me after a couple days. Others would just flirt with me, then stop when they see how socially inept I am.

But there was one guy, who was different from the rest. Not in a good way. He went to Millard Creek, and he was a senior, while I was still a freshman. He had just broken up with his senior girlfriend, so he obviously wanted some gullible freshman to toy with until he could get her back. Correct, the gullible freshman was me.

We met during the first week. I was lost in the hallways, trying to look for my second block, and he was there, messing around with his friends. He started hitting on me, and I just went with it, even if I was nervous and didn't really know how to respond. He knew how awkward I was and that I didn't know what was going on, but he was so desperate he didn't care. He just wanted a girl to put his penis inside.

He ended up getting my number out of me and told me to meet him in the girls gym locker room during lunch. I was uncomfortable, but he was able to coax me into making out with him. Then, he started trying to take my clothes off, but that's when I drew the line and left.

He got mad and started telling his friends that I'm a prude and that we only made it to first base. Soon, majority of the school found out, including his ex, and she began to start rumors about me and look for me to pick on me in the hallways.

I'd already had trouble finding friends because everyone was acting like they'd never seen a mixed girl before, but this just made it worse. I begged my parents to switch schools, but they wouldn't let me.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure Huey wouldn't go around talking about me if we, like, made out or had sex. Not that I have to worry about anything a relationship or sex with him, though.

I get up and go sit on his bed.

"Are you going to tell your granddad about the vape?" I ask him.
He sighs and lies down next to me. "Maybe, maybe not. I don't feel like hearing Riley get his ass beat tonight, so no." He pauses, then says sarcastically, "Oops, I forgot 'that's child abuse'."
"It is!"
"Yeah, but the way you say it is just so innocent."
"I'm not innocent."
"Yeah... you are."
"You're really annoying, and I just met you today."
"Cool."
"Ugh..." I roll my eyes.

A brief moment of silence goes by. I get up and start exploring the room and examining his posters on the wall. They're all of activists.

"Are you, like, a Black Panther or something?" I ask him.
"No, I just look up to those people."
"That's cool."
"Do you know who they are?"
I point to one poster. "That's Malcolm X." Then, I point to the second. "And that's Che Guevara."
"Good, you know. You're more open minded than I thought."
I make a face at him, then I go and look out his window.

"Who do you look up to?" he asks.
I look up at the sky. "Um... I've never thought about that before, actually. My dad. Even though he's a bit of a weenie, he's still a hard worker, and he's really good at his job. I want to be like that one day."
"What kind of career do you want?"
"I want to be a veterinarian."
"That's nice."
"Thanks." I return to his bed and sit next to him again. "I think that's first nice thing you've said to me." I smile. He doesn't smile back, but he's not wearing his usual unreadable blank face, either. He's actually listening to me.
"What school do you want to go to?"
I twiddle my thumbs. "I used to want to go to Yale when I was little, but that's way out of my reach and really expensive. Now, I want to go to Penn State." I look over at him. "What about you? What do you wanna be and what school?"
"A teacher. I haven't decided on a school yet."
"Really? Are you sure you want to put up with all the rude kids? Teachers don't get paid well either."
"I know. I just want to make a change, expand their minds. You know, help them see the bigger picture and make becoming an adult a little easier, especially for black kids."
"That's really sweet." I nod, taking his words in. I begin to feel a little less annoyed by him and start to feel some admiration for him instead. "What will you teach?"
"American History. African American History already covers all the good stuff."
I laugh, thinking back to second block. "You know a lot about history and governments, so I think you'd be pretty good at that. Maybe you should consider being a college professor, or at least an AP teacher instead? They get paid more—way more if you're a professor."
"Yeah, but I can make a bigger impact as a regular teacher. I can get to the kids who really need my help."
"That's true."

    My phone begins to buzz in the pocket of my skirt, lighting up the plaid fabric. I take it out to see that it's my mom and answer immediately.

  "Hi, Mom!" I say.
  "Jaz, where are you?" she asks.
  "Oh, I'm at the neighbor's house. Sorry, I forgot to let you know."
  "It's okay! You, your father, and I will go over this weekend to introduce ourselves formally."
  "OK."
  "Have a good time."
  "I will. Bye, Mommy."
  "Bye, sweetie."

    I put my phone away, then look back at Huey.

  "Don't say a word."
  "I'm not judging." He shrugs. Then, he mutters, "...Princess."
    I roll my eyes. "She's my mom, OK?"
  "Yeah, I understand. But did you have to call her 'mommy', though?"
  "Yes, yes, I did because we're close and I love her."
  "OK."
  "Thank you."

    I stay and we talk a little more about school and jobs. Around four, I decide to go home, and he sees me on my way out.

    As I walk back over to my house, I begin to reflection and conclude that Huey isn't just an insolent jackass and is actually an okay person when he's talking about meaningful stuff and not throwing jabs at me.

🖤

Awwwww Jaz is warming up to him 🥰

Sorry if this chapter's short, but it's basically a continuation of last chapter so that's why

I typed that one up last night then I finished this one this morning, so I'm feeling productive lmao ✌🏾