Morning Routine

Sorry I've been taking so long to update...school and depression tingz...

Ayyy, we made it to 300! Thank y'all sooo much ❤️😍 Follow me for notifications about when I'm writing new parts and when I've updated! Let's get back into it!

(Jazmine's POV)
The Next Day...

Huey offers me a ride to school this morning. When I first see him again, I get a weird, uncomfortable feeling in my gut. My body starts to heat up. I hope I'm not turning red. I think I'm just embarrassed because I broke down in front of him like a baby yesterday. It's definitely weird, but I feel somewhat closer to him because of it. I don't want him to know that, though.

    I can't help it, though. Because when I'm walking out to meet him at his car, I suddenly become the clumsiest person on earth and stumble over myself onto the cement ground of his driveway. My stupid heavy backpack keeps me grounded, making it difficult to get back to my feet. Huey gets out of the car and jogs around to help me back up. He wraps his arms around my waist and lifts me back up with ease.

  This is so embarrassing!

  "Are you okay?" he asks.
  "Yeah, thanks!" I avoid his eyes.

    He takes my bag off my shoulders and puts it in the backseat, then he opens the passenger door so that I can get. He returns to his side and gets back in so we can get going.

  "What is in that bag?" he asks. "That thing was heavy."
    I nervously chuckle, "Our textbooks, silly."
  "That doesn't hurt your back?"
  "It does, actually. But I don't mind."

    I pull out the sun visor mirror and fix up my curls after the fall. When I look back at him to ask him a question, I catch him staring, and he looks back at the road immediately. I close the mirror and visor and focus on not blushing.

  "Can we stop by Starbucks super quick?" I ask.
  "They're really busy right now," he says. "What if we're late?"
  "Well, it's okay to be late, sometimes, Huey," I  laugh a little.
  "Didn't expect that from you, Princess."
I groan, "I bashed someone's head in with a frying pan the other day, and you still want to call me 'Princess'?"
"I just can't help it."
"Well, if you're still calling me that, I'm going to call you Prince."
"No."
"Yes, Prince."
"Jazmine, I swear to God."
I laugh, "It doesn't feel so good, does it?"
He rolls his eyes.

We pull into Starbucks. I tell him "thank you" over my shoulder as I run inside while he finds a parking space. It's takes ten minutes for me to get my latte, but I'm used to it. When I run back out, Huey is waiting in his parking space. Upon closer inspection, he's fallen asleep, his huge afro resting against the window. He looks a lot more peaceful and less like an smart ass when he's asleep, admittedly. It's sort of adorable.

I knock on the passenger window, and he jolts awakes in a state of perplexity. Then, he unlocks the door so I can get back in.

"Pumpkin Spice Latte?" he assumes with a yawn.
"Stop judging me!"
"That's why I call you 'Princess'. I've never seen a black girl with a Pumpkin Spice Latte."
"Oh, shut up. I've never seen a black guy eat whatever it is that you always eat at lunch."
"It's apart of a healthy, vegan diet."
"Exactly. You like what you like, and I like what I like."
He sighs, "Touché."

I take a couple sips of my latte. I can actually enjoy it this morning, since I'm not driving.

"It looks like you didn't get a lot of sleep last night," I say.

"I didn't," he confirms through baggy eyes.

"Why not?" I giggle. "Did you get lost in a book or something?"

"Granddad brought home someone's wife from his yoga class last night."

I gasp--there's no way in Hell.

"Are you serious?!" I laugh.

"She brought her friends with her. They are also married," he adds.

My jaw drops. "How many?"

"Two."

"Ohmigod, that old guy had a foursome?!"

"Yep. Now, stop asking before I get nauseous again."

"Sorry, I just really can't believe it. I didn't know your granddad was that much of a player."

"He calls it "The Freeman Charm" Gene."

I smirk, "Well, that gene must've missed you, then."

He gives me the side eye to my amusement, then he looks back at the road.

"Maybe I just don't use it around you, Jazmine."

My smirk disappears and my heart jumps a bit. Huey? Being flirtatious? Yeah, right.

"Oh, yeah?" I question with doubt.

"Yeah." Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but I think I almost hear him chuckle when he says it.

"OK then, Loverboy. When we get to school, I want to see you walk up to a random girl and get her number."

"Those kinds of games are beneath me."

"I'll give you five dollars."

"You can't buy me."

"Um..." My eyes dance around thinking of something else that might make him sway. "OK, fine. You don't have to do it, but I just want proof of this so-called "charm"."

He looks over at me again, this time with dauntless eyes that give me that annoying feeling in my stomach again.

"Usually, I don't feel the need to prove things to people, but I'll make an exception for you." Something about the way he says it is a little scary, but in a thrilling way. "...You wanna skip school today?" he offers.

   My eyes widen. "Are you serious, Huey?" I chuckle with disbelief. "You're asking me to skip school with you?"
  "Yeah," his answer is nonchalant.
  "Where would you take me?"
  "Where you wanna go?" Something about his voice is just so... I can't describe it, but it makes me feel funny.
  "Um...surprise me." I shrug. My heart begins to race. I'm skipping school. For a day. With a boy.

...

Where do you guys think Huey will take Jaz? What do you think they'll do together?

Sorry again for the late update but it's here! Follow me, vote, and leave comments! 🖤