The Pursuit

I'm silent in the passenger seat, looking down every street that we speed past for the black SUV. This is the fastest I've ever driven with someone. Despite the situation, I kind of like it.

Huey takes his phone out and calls Riley. The phone briefly rings before Riley picks up,

"HUEY, HELP!" he whispers in an urgent tone.
"Riley, what the hell did you do?! Where are Rummy and Ed taking you?" Huey queries.
"Ion know where we goin', but they won't let us out!"
"OK. Don't panic."

Huey opens "Find my iPhone", and tracks Riley's phone through it.

"You're heading towards the interstate," Huey informs him. "Why is Ruckus tied up in the backseat?"
"Um, you see..." Riley nervously chuckles.
"Riley," Huey presses.
"Me and Cin just wanted to play a lil' prank on 'em, so we went to Ed and Rummy for some ideas. Then, they took it too far, drove us to da nigga's house, and kidnapped him. Ion know what the fuck is goin' on now, but you gotta understand that dis ain't my fault-"
Huey impatiently interrupts, frustrated with him, "Why didn't you call the police?! They're kidnapping you too!"
"You know I can't snitch on da homies like dat. I ain't dat nigga 6ix9ine. Plus, them pigs might arrest me and Cin too!"
Huey slaps his palm against his face and groans irritably. Riley is right, though.
"Just stay quiet and try to keep Ruckus quiet. I'm turning onto the interstate right now," Huey advises.
"Ruckus already quiet." Riley snickers mischievously, "Rummy knocked em out."
Huey gives a sigh of disapproval and hangs up.

"Who's Ed and Rummy?" I ask.
"Some dumb ass friends I told Riley to stop talking to a long time ago," Huey grumbles. He sports an aggravated scowl. I don't want to ask too many questions and make him explode.

Huey hands me his phone with the Find My iPhone app still pulled up.

"Tell me where they're going," he says.
"OK." I nod.

I look at the map and see that Riley's phone is driving off of an exit that we're getting close to.

"Get ready to get off on Exit 1," I direct Huey.

He nods and puts his blinker on, switching lanes all the way to the one that's furthest right. Up ahead is the exit. Once we're off the interstate, we're on what I perceive as the other side of Woodcrest. Here, it's more urban and less wealthy.

We stop at a light. Three cars ahead of us, we see the black truck turning right. Huey bites his lip and honks his horn, urging the light to turn green. It remains red.

"Fuck!" he mutters.

He puts his blinker on and turns the car to the right, driving off the road and into the grass. Other cars honk at him as he cuts in front of them and drives back onto the road that the truck is on. He hits the gas, sending us flying off. He cuts in front of multiple cars without his blinker while trying to catch up to Ed and Rummy.

When we're finally trailing behind the Escalade, we see Cindy and Riley wave to us from the back windshield.

"Idiots..." Huey says under his breath.

We follow the truck into a low income neighborhood. It takes a couple turns down different streets until it parks in the driveway of a rundown blue house. We park at the end of the street from the house.

"I'm scared," I mumble.
"That's why I told you to stay back, Jazmine," Huey scolds me.
I wince from the harsh words and nervously purse my lips while looking away.
"Sorry," I whisper.

Huey opens his door and gets out. Then, he grabs a pistol from under his seat and holsters it in his pants. My heart leaps to my throat at the sight of the gun.