Promise me...- SkendJ fanfic

So, I got this idea when I saw Kila publish a SkendJ fanfic and it was a sad one. This one will be like it except it's vice versa.

Warning: Involves feelz! Better have a box of tissue and listen to some music; probably Let your head down by MAGIC! or I want it that way by Backstreet Boys. That's all!

Disclaimer: JJ belongs to Kila (@Ask-Merome), Skendy (original version) belongs to DiamondSwordDS on DeviantArt (Skybrine's creator) and Skendy (new one that I use) belongs to me! Also, Olivia belongs to both me and Kila! That's all!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JJ sniffed as he watched Skendy who was sleeping while breathing in shallow breaths. Skendy had stayed like that for weeks. He woke up a few times, but barely. The Ender hybrid had caught a disease that only Enders could have. It was a rare chance on having it, but Skendy was one of the unlucky ones. He may have been immune to other diseases, but those were human ones. His system wasn't adapted to protect itself from other diseases that were non-human. JJ refused to leave Skendy and he also refused to sleep. He did eat, but he never left the room. He was afraid that Skendy would leave him without saying goodbye. There was a reason why he thought of that. Out of the people that caught it, there were only 2 or 3 people that have survived it. The rest died. There have been over 100 Enders that have had it, and so you now know why JJ wouldn't leave Skendy's side. JJ held Skendy's hand, hugging it. He was trying to get Skendy to overcome the non-curable disease. He gritted his teeth as tears flowed down his face. There was one downside and it was that JJ was pregnant. He couldn't bear the thought of raising his second child without a father. They hadn't even known the gender yet.

Olivia was behind him, watching her own dad fight for his life. She had gone to school for a few weeks after Skendy had gotten the disease, but she stopped. She knew that she might lose her father to the illness, but she didn't say anything. She didn't want to miss the moment her dad would wake up and either be alive or say a few words and die. She knew that she needed to be strong. She remembered her dad being strong. He had stayed alive after nearly bleeding to death. She knew that she would have to help her mom with her new sibling. She couldn't help, but let tears flow down her face as she thought about herself having to tell her sibling all about their dad if he died.

Both of them watched Skendy as he breathed slowly. The monitor showed that he was alive, but barely. It would sometimes show that he was about to leave them, but JJ would panic and beg. It would work and Skendy would be better, but he wouldn't wake up. "Please, Skendy. Please wake up and live. Please. I love you more than anything and I wouldn't want you to leave me and Olivia..." JJ trailed off. Skendy sighed in his seemingly peaceful sleep and JJ sighed back. He didn't know what to do. JJ took the hand that he was holding and put it on his stomach, "Skendy, please get better. Please get through this. I want you to be here for our children. For me. For us. Please. Don't leave us..." JJ begged in between sobs. He was crying and then he stopped, keeping the hand on his stomach. He just watched over Skendy while their daughter, who was still behind JJ, did the same.

[Few minutes later...]

JJ came back into the room from the bathroom to see Skendy waking up. His eyes lightened up and ran to Skendy's side, not caring about the bathroom light being on. Skendy blinked a few times before turning to JJ, smiling. JJ quickly held his hand and smiled back. Olivia woke up to the commotion and squealed. Her dad was finally awake! But did he overcome the illness? Skendy coughed hoarsely, using his free hand to cover his mouth. He pulled his hand away and looked at JJ, with blood dripping down his hand and mouth. JJ and Olivia's eyes widened at the sight. JJ's smile dropped and Olivia quickly ran out of the room.

JJ felt tears come out of his eyes as Skendy looked at him with that same smile on his face. He wiped the blood off on the towel nearby and cupped JJ's cheeks with his hand. Skendy spoke in a hoarse voice, "I know that I don't have much time left, but I want you to promise me something..." JJ nodded and sniffed, "O-Okay..." Skendy smiled even more, kissed him and pulled away, "Promise me that you will be strong for our kids. Promise me that you will keep smiling even after I'm long gone." He coughed and continued, "I want you to do this as I watch you and our family from the Aether. Please, JJ. Please." JJ's eyes widened and cried. He nodded as Skendy wiped his tears away, "I-I p-promise..."

Skendy smiled as Olivia came back in with both the rest of the Merome and EnderBrine family. Skendy motioned for Olivia to go over to him and she obeyed. "Y-Yes, d-daddy?" Olivia asked. Skendy took her hands in his and smiled "I want to you to promise me that you will help your mommy, you will help and protect him and your sibling. I also want you to keep smiling." Olivia felt tears run down her eyes as she nodded. Skendy let go of her hands and lay back down on the bed. His eyes started to close as he kept on smiling. "NOOOOO!" JJ shrieked as he hugged Skendy. "Please! Please don't leave us!" He sobbed. Skendy kissed his forehead and smiled, "Love, let it be. We will meet again soon. Keep smiling for me too. Promise me all of these. And dad?" Skybrine walked up to him as he spoke the word. "Promise me that you will protect my family. Protect Ender, Bender and our sibling too. Make sure that they don't meet my same fate..." Skybrine murmured an agreement and nodded. "Same with you, Ender. Also, don't act like an idiot." Skendy grinned as Ender lifted his head up and nodded, eyes widened. Skendy's eyes finally closed and he sighed his last breath, the monitor beeping while showing a straight line. "NOOOO! SKENDY! PLEASE! COME BACK TO US!" JJ shrieked. It was no use. The Ender hybrid was gone. He covered his face with his hands and sobbed as Skybrine rubbed his back and Olivia hugged him.

[1 week later...]

JJ prepared his tie as he looked over at Olivia who was wearing her purple dress, sitting on the bed. The color reminded him of Skendy's eyes, the way they always were when he wasn't angry. He sighed as he rubbed his stomach. 'Just a few more months and you'll be born...' JJ thought as he sighed. "Come on, Olivia. It's time to go." JJ said. Olivia jumped up from the bed and ran over to her mother. They held hands and walked out the door.

[At the forest]

Endy cried into Skybrine's shoulder as Skybrine rubbed his back while showing no emotion. JJ sobbed quietly as the funeral went on. Olivia hugged her mom as they buried her dad into the Overworld. A few came up and made speeches on how strong, kind, and brave Skendy was, but once Ender came up to the pedestal, everyone just stares at him. "I'd like to pay some respects for my brother. He was my twin. He did try to kill me, but he was great person. He was kind and caring. He acted like an older brother to every one of us. But I know him enough to know that he wouldn't want us moping around. He would've wanted us to go on with our lives and for some of us to do on what he couldn't accomplish. I know that he is up in the Aether, watching us. That is all I have to say..." He left the pedestal as JJ wiped away his tears.

Once everyone else was gone, JJ and Olivia went up to the gravestone. JJ fell on his knees and sobbed. Olivia cried as she and her mom hugged each other. On the grave, it read:

Here lies Skendy Brine.

October 18, 2019-November 15, 2034

"You have been the best older brother/friend/husband/father that anyone could've ever had. May you be happy with Audrey (A/N: It used to be Elizabeth, but then I used the name Elizabeth on another character and so it's now Audrey XD)"

TBC...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There will be another part to this, but with a different title! I meant two endings to this and both will have different titles! That is all! Hope you like it, Kila!

P.S.: XD I didn't think about the two ending thing until now. Also, the quote on Skendy's grave was just something out of laziness and short time.

Originally published/posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 at 5:00 am