Chapter 6

Purple flowers are laying in the trash on top of half eaten sandwiches and crumpled tissues. With them probably also Adrien's hope of getting together with me.

I take a deep breath and walk out of the building to the elevator in the parking garage. I fix my hair in the mirror inside the elevator and put on some lipstick with the slight hope of meeting up with Denis, just in case he decides to cancel his plans and see me. He hasn't texted me back in three hours and I'm concerned that he's mad at me, although I'm certain that I haven't done anything to anger him.

The elevator door opens and a despondent man walks in. His eyes gleam as he looks at me, my lungs almost collapsing by how fast I'm inhaling and exhaling, and I feel like a deer caught in the headlights.

"Are you going home?" Adrien asks, his eyes are tacked on my feet, making me shift uncomfortably in my spot.

"It's none of your business where I'm going."

"I know you're dying to eat something right now and I could eat a good burger with you if you'd just let me-"

"No. I'm eating lasagna." I sternly cut him off and press my lips together.

"A burger with beef is better." He replies leaning against the wall.

"With onions. And cheese. Maybe a few pickles and ketchup." I add in a small voice. "Not that I care." Saliva is almost threatening to pool in my mouth as I visualize the juicy burger that I describe.

"But lasagna will do it too." Adrien shrugs and I look at him and an impish smile graces his face.

What would happen if I went out with him to eat a burger which I want rather than a cold leftover lasagna? Knowing that Adrien and I are over and that I don't want to see him anymore, I play with the mind of going to lunch with him. I'm always playing with fire, but this time I'm sure I learned how not to burn myself on it.

"I'll go eat with you. Just for the burgers and I'm starving so I could use something good as a burger." His lips try to suppress a big grin and he nods his head one time, promising me, that I won't regret it.

The American style restaurant isn't far from work and we both already seat ourselves in the rather busy back. It was my suggestion, I don't feel comfortable being alone with him for too long. Not as I used to, at least that's what I'm telling myself.

We don't eat in silence, as he's the one who always tries to strike a conversation with me, trying to discuss the year we haven't seen each other. I respond with the usual head nods and short answers, trying to avoid some questions.

"It's crazy." He smiles, eyeing me, while I'm devouring my burger.

"What? I'm hungry," I knit my brows together, "This is a good burger by the way, not like the ones in Orleans."

"No, I mean that we're talking to each other again."

Rather him than I.

"Okay, we're not going to make a habit out of this. I'm only hungry and rather eat a burger than frozen lasagna." I explain to him.

"I missed you, I don't think I've ever missed someone this bad in my life."

I sigh and shake my head, wondering if that's a mutual feeling. I despise him, I'm trying to.

"Sure, do you love the feeling of missing me?"

"No."

"Then you shouldn't have done what you did, but let's not talk about it." I wave my hand as if I was trying to get rid of flies and proceed to eating my almost finished burger. "I could eat a second one."