Haqiya nodded, and let the subject rest. But of course, she couldn't be quiet for too long.

"Have the snakes come for you lately?" She asked quietly as they walked through the dark corridors.

Noor sighed. "Not recently. I've promised to give them money by the end of this month, though."

"Will you be able to?" Haqiya asked, glancing at Noor.

Noor shrugged. "Most likely. I've been saving up for so long."

"So you'll be able to pay off your debt soon," Haqiya said, smiling. "I'm so proud of you."

Noor allowed herself a smile.

"And after that...you'll be gone," Haqiya said. Noor opened her mouth, but the shorter girl beat her too it. "I'm not angry."

Noor shook her head. "It's not like I'll go anywhere. You know what your mother always used to say. Once a dancer, always a dancer. We—"

"Can never be more," Haqiya chorused. "Yes, I know."

When they reached, Noor whispered a quick goodnight to Haqiya and went to the room he shared with some other dancers, going straight to her own, curtained-off part of the room and shut the curtains firmly.

She undressed and laid down on the bed, pulling the blanket over herself. Neqer, the day had been so tiring. Especially after everything had happened. There was no telling what tomorrow would bring.

She just hoped she wouldn't be in trouble.

***

"Did you know the Enyans celebrate birth-days?"

Noor lifted her head from her book, looking at Amir. "I've heard about that. What is that custom, again?"

"Exactly what it means," Amir said, showing her the page he'd been reading. "Each year, Enyans celebrate the exact day on which they were born."

Noor frowned, nodding. "A bit odd. It makes sense, in a way."

Amir nudged her. "Celebrating name-days makes more sense, though."

Noor tilted her head to the side. "Yes," she said slowly, "But that's because it's more familiar to us, isn't it? I imagine if we'd grown up celebrating these birth-days, they'd make more sense to us."

Amir shrugged. "True." He sighed, turning back to his own book.

Noor focused on her own book. A few minutes later, she heard Amir sigh. She turned to see him rubbing his forehead. "What's wrong?"

He started, turning to her. "Nothing." He shook his head. "My head is aching."

Noor grimaced. "Is it bad?"

He scoffed. "Of course not. I can still concentrate."

"Maybe you should go back to sleep," Noor suggested, brushing away his curls. "You look tired."

Amir bit his lip. "No, no. We have to study. Come on, get back to work."

"You can afford to take a day off, Amir." Noor tried again. "You're not getting enough sleep, I know that. This way, it'll be a miracle if you can even stay awake during the exam."

Amir pursed his lips. "I'll be fine, Noor."

Noor stopped herself from pushing him further and turned back to her own book. Amir wouldn't listen unless he literally collapsed. She knew from personal experience.

She finally closed her book, stretching her back. She glanced out the window. The sun had come up, lighting up the sky. It was time for morning prayer.

"Amir," she said, tapping his shoulder.

icon lock

Show your support for kakpie291203, and continue reading this story

by kakpie291203
@kakpie291203
Noor, a dancer in the Royal Court of the Al-Yauzhan Empire wants noth...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 24 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @kakpie291203.