She despised this dance. The sentiment was shared by the others, but you wouldn't know it by looking at them. Everyone, Noor included, had put on the mask of a dancer who enjoyed this, who encouraged the attentions of the intoxicated nobles.

Noor let herself sink into the role, throwing sultry glances at the nobles who were watching her, even as her stomach turned. But never going farther than that. Or else they could get other ideas, and that'd be another burden on her shoulders.

Nazrat began her solo, and Noor made sure to stand just out of arms-length from the closest nobles as she watched her. Nazrat played her role perfectly, and Noor would have been fooled if she didn't know of all the anger that laid below her bronze skin and inviting eyes.

At last, the music ended, and the girls stayed in their positions. Noor glanced at Haqiya once, who was biting her lower lip.

"Ah, wasn't that wonderful!" Sher Rakim said, sounding only the slightest bit unsteady. Whatever else she had to say about that man, he knew how to hold his liquor. "Don't you agree, Rajkumar?"

Noor looked at the Rajkumar's feet, only. But she recognized his voice when he spoke.

"Of course," the man said, the words the only sound in the room.

"They're all very talented dancers," Rajkumar Fayyaz said, gesturing at the group.

Noor let herself look at him. He was handsome as well, a bit younger than his brother. He looked comfortable in the room, and she wondered what the enamored servant girls Amir had told her about would have to say if they saw their Rajkumars now.

"They're a bit more than talented, wouldn't you say?" One of the nobles said, prompting the rest to laugh.

"Undoubtedly," Rajkumar Fayyaz said smoothly, his face betraying no emotion.

"We're rather tired from the journey here," Rajkumar Vikram said. "Dancers, you are excused."

Noor let out a breath as they turned, beginning to file out. She was at the end of the line, one of the last to leave.

"My brother and I shall go to our chambers now. Excuse us, please."

She could hear fabric rustling, meaning the Rajkumars were getting ready to leave. She hurried out, following the rest of the girls as they walked to their quarters.

"Well." Haqiya exhaled, walking with her. "At least that's over."

Noor nodded.

"Are you alright?" Haqiya asked, turning her head to look at Noor.

"Fine, I just—" Noor sighed, shaking her head. "I thought they would be better. Than Sher Rakim. Sher—"

"Butnam," Haqiya supplied. She nodded. "I thought so, too. But the Rajkumars are still young. I've heard that they aren't nearly as bad as any of the other nobles."

"I've heard that as well." Noor agreed. "But what decent man would come for a dance like that? It's like a harem in there."

Haqiya's eyes widened. "Of course not. At least we only have to dance. The courtesans have it worse nowadays."

Noor grimaced. "I know."

Of all the posts in the palace, the courtesans were probably the most fallen. Once, they'd been respected, learned women and men others paid to meet. Now, though...

"Of course you do," Haqiya said softly. "How is Amir?"

"He's..." Noor thought back to the evening in the library. "He's doing as well as he can."

icon lock

أظهر دعمك لـkakpie291203 وتابع قراءة هذه القصة

بقلم kakpie291203
@kakpie291203
Noor, a dancer in the Royal Court of the Al-Yauzhan Empire wants noth...
افتح فصلاً جديدًا من القصة أو القصة كُلََّها. في كل الحالات، عملاتك تساعد الكتّاب على كسب المال من القصص التي تحبها.

تبقّى من هذه القصة 24 فصول

اكتشف كيف تدعم العملات كتّابك المفضلين مثل @kakpie291203.