part nineteen

i approached his house, very scared of whom might answer the door. if anyone would even open the door.

i waited for a cold, solid minute after knocking. my hands were in my jean pockets. patiently i waited, determined not to leave until i was certain nobody was home.

but then the door slowly creeped open. it was boris, i could tell even though he was just poking one eye out through the sliver of the door he opened.

"hi.. um.. boris.. can we talk?"

"nothing to talk about, potter." replied boris in a low, raspy voice.

"don't give me that. you just got the shit beat out of you for me. you didn't have to do that..."

"i know. i wanted too."

"why?" i asked, voice cracked.

"because i still care about you. i don't like seeing you get hurt."

"and you think i like seeing you get hurt? i care more about you then i care about myself!" i exclaimed. by this point i was crying. boris has opened the door some more. his face was so beat up it broke my heart even more.

i could see boris' eyes start to tear up too. he looked down.

"i um... think you should go." boris said after some silence. besides my sniffles.

"w-what? why!"

"because, potter, you shouldn't be here." he said, quieter.

"yeah, totally. what's the reason?" boris turned around and then looked back at me.

"just leave-" before boris shut the door i stuck my fingers in between the crack to stop it from shutting.

"it's your dad, isn't it?"

"doesn't matter. just go potter, please. if he sees you here he'll beat you too. i don't want that." i sighed.

"come with me." i blurted out.

"what?"

"come. with. me"

"no. you hate me." i stuck my hand all the way through the door and grabbed his arm and pulled him outside. i shut the door.

"jesus fuck boris, they really did get you good."

"is nothing..." he said, scratching the back of his neck.

"bullshit. we don't have time to talk about this though. come on— and i swear to god boris if you don't come with me i'm not leaving either." he folded his arms around his chest.

though he was beat up, horribly bad, i still wanted to cuddle with him. kiss him. tell him how much i love him. but it was too late

boris finally decided that he would go to my house with me, thank god.

popchyk was beyond thrilled. when he saw boris he acted like he hadn't seen boris in years. which is probably what it felt like since he was a dog and we broke up.

boris picked up popchyk. he squirmed around in his arms and started licking his face. boris smiled, which made me really happy. and relieved i guess.

•••

"are you going to that party?" boris asked.

it was now 1am. we were drunk, highly drunk. we were also laying side by side, looking up at the night sky by my empty pool.

i brought up a party that was going down on new years, the same place we went to before. you would think i wouldn't because of what happened last time but it'd be fun. and me and boris were chill now, not exactly best buds but there was no hate between us... i guess.

"yeah, scarlett told me about it so i hope to see her there." boris slightly nodded, just to signify that he heard me.

it was silent again. just us, looking up. i was tired, and i felt gross. i needed a shower but my shower could wait.

"i— god potter, am so sorry..." boris blurted under his breath.

"what?" i asked with a small laugh. i then realized what he was talking about.

"boris just shut up. i said it's okay. stop apologizing. we're friends again now aren't we?"

"sure. but... i just can't forgive myself!" i groaned.

"get over it. i literally don't care anymore." that was a lie. i cared. because i wanted him back again. because he was the best at comforting me and holding me. because it's hard to be friends with someone you love.