Neighbors

The last three days to sum it up have sucked.

I took Fury's offer to lie low and heal up and it's been nothing but sleep, doctor appointments, and a lot of Danny avoiding me.

I've tried to talk to him, but every time I try he either finds some excuse or disappears before I can. I'm pretty sure the others have noticed, but no one has said anything.

At least not yet.

After the three day break—explaining that to MJ and Harry was a nightmare—Fury had brought CAST and us in for some kind of announcement. We were all in the Mess Hall waiting for him to call us up, and I can't help but notice the distance Danny has put between us.

Fortunately, I have Simone and Ava at the table I was at to take my mind off things. On day two, they had stopped by my room and I told the short version of what happened between me and him. It was nice to talk to them about all of... this.

"I am so not in the mood to hear Ax whine about his loss again," Connor says, sitting down at our table and propping his chin upon his hand with a yawn as Sam lets out another cheer. "I don't know how you guys do this superhero thing all the time. I'm exhausted."

"The hardest part is balancing everything," Ava starts. "Having a life outside of this is pretty brutal."

"What's this 'life' you speak of? I don't think I've seen mine for a while." I say, taking another spoonful of my oatmeal with a sigh.

"I don't know how you and Spider-Man do it either. Two people dating on your team is one thing, but dating the team leader?" Connor's words hit us all as we snap to look at Ava all at once.

"W-What?! We're not—I'm not—" her face is redder than Ax's hair, and her eyes dart around as if she's expecting Pete to just show up out of the blue.

"They aren't dating Connor." I laugh, earning a thankful look from her. "At least not yet!"

"Ari!"

"What? Ava, we totally know you have a thing for him!" I lean my now healed arm on the table, nudging my tray up. "I'm rooting for you—you guys would be so cute!"

"I-I can't... it would be weird. Besides, he and MJ are so close and—"

"They aren't dating if that's what you're worried about," I say. "If they were, I would know and I know from an inside source that a certain spider-themed hero might have a thing for a certain tiger-themed hero~!"

"Is the inside source you?" Simone asks with an amused smile.

I turn to look her dead in the eye. "Yes. Yes, it is. Ava, I say take a chance! When you were falling from the Hell-Carrier, he didn't even think twice to go after you!"

"Because I'm his teammate."

"That, and he cares a lot about you!"

Our attention is drawn by a slam on the table across from us, and we all turn to see Luke standing triumphantly over Ax, who's hunched over in defeat on the floor.

"YES! My reign continues!" Luke cheers as Ax jumps to his feet with a new fire in his eyes.

"Best two outta three!"

"It's been five already, man! Just give it up!"

"Never!"

Connor shakes his head, rolling his eyes with a soft smile, and Sam cheers them on as they get ready for another round. I can't help but glance over to Danny, who's poking at his food. He hadn't touched it at all since we got here, and even though I'm still pissed about the fact that he's been ignoring me... I'm still worried.