Helicarrier

The next day I wait patiently for Director Fury to contact me, sitting in my living room just staring at the photo of my mother and me before she passed. It was one of her better days and she was feeling up to it so we went on a walk around Central Park. A smile tilts my lips as I recall the carousel and the boat rides we took around the lake.

"What the hell? Four dollars for a hot-dog—y ou're insane!" I can't help but laugh a little at how she argued with the vendor. Back then, I tried my best to calm her down and the guy eventually lowered it down to two-seventy five.

"I remember when your father took us here on our very first date; the food was cheaper that's for sure . . ." she said with a disgruntled face, and then she stared out at the flowers from the rock we were sitting on with the softest expression I've ever seen.

I shake the memory from my thoughts when there is a knock at my door. Quickly standing, I look through the peephole to see two people; a dark-haired man and a brunette woman dressed in dark blue suits and sunglasses. Either this was the contact that Director Fury was talking about or the music I've downloaded from a 'free-lance' website finally caught up with me. Taking a deep breath, I open the door.

"Hello, can I help you?" I ask, hiding the shakiness from my voice.

"Miss Kateri, I presume?" the man speaks in a clipped tone that means nothing but business.

"Yes," I look from him to the woman but can't really read anything from them. I activate my vision to see them light up in blue so I wouldn't be following total strangers. 

"We're here to take you to SHIELD headquarters to meet the Director." He says as I blink at the tense air, a little uncomfortable with just being taken away like this.

"It's just a normal procedure, you'll speak with the Director and after that. If you really are interested will go through a little test to see how your far your abilities can go." The woman speaks up, removing her sunglasses to reveal cool grey eyes. "My name is Ana, this is Agent Benjamin; sorry if he seems a little uptight." She whispers the last part to me with a wink, slipping her shades back on. I smile a bit, feeling a bit more at ease.

"Thank you, I'll just get my keys." I go back inside to grab my things and pause at the picture of my mom's smiling face. "I'll find him for you . . ." I whisper before locking the door behind me. My heart is absolutely racing at the thought of finding out about my father and what SHIELD has in store for me.

++++++++++++

The moment I see the Helicarrier I feel my jaw drop at the sight. It's massive, floating high above the city. How no one else sees this, I'll never know.

"Um, I know I'm going to regret asking this but . . . how are we going to get up there?" Agent Benjamin smirks at my question as Agent Ana holds onto my hand.

"This might make you a little bit sick, okay?" she says, but before I can open my mouth to question it, there was a bright flash of light before we disappear and reappear inside an enormous room. The walls are made of sturdy-looking metal and it seemed to blur together before my eyes before I feel a sinking feeling in my stomach.

"Are you okay? It's pretty tough teleporting the first time around." Ana says, patting my back lightly in an attempt to make me feel better.

"I'm fine, a little nauseous though . . ." I uttered, steadying myself. "Please lead the way."

"That's the spirit." Agent Benjamin says, sounding slightly amused as we proceed to where the Director is; the control room.

After what seemed like an endless walk (Ana tried to make small talk, but I was still feeling a little sick) we finally stop in front of a giant door engraved with an eagle with outstretched wings. I straighten my back, taking in a deep breath. Agent Benjamin saunters over to the door, pressing a few buttons on the door, and a little panel appears.