Part 1 :- 'Better' or 'Worse'

Start from the beginning

A look of deep sorrow had crossed YiJun’s features at Xi Xi’s words. But YiJun had schooled his features into that of indifference within seconds. He had stood straighter and confidently said, "I accept. Thank you for taking care of me all these years. I wish you and Xian the best for your future. If you are ever in need of anything, please feel free to come to me."

YiJun’s formal words, so coldly spoken, had hurt Xian. He had stopped his tears with great difficulty, and spoken, "I will be eternally grateful to the kindness the Prince has shown to this worthless boy. I hope someday I will be able to repay this debt." Then he had turned to his mother and said confidently, "Let us go, mother. We are not needed here anymore." With that, the mother and son had stepped out of the palace.

YiJun had run to the window and looked at Xian walking out of the palace gates. "I will miss you, Xian. But it’s for the best." YiJun had whispered in the empty room.

Xian’s father was the royal physician's assistant, so when he had noticed that Xian had a natural flair to understand the properties of herbs, he had trained his son in medicine.

Meanwhile, YiJun had started going for hunting trips alone. The king had begged him to take some soldiers along, but every time, YiJun had refused. YiJun’s attitude had become colder. He had become more distant and unapproachable.

Though Xian had bumped into YiJun occasionally when he was running errands for the court physician, YiJun had ignored Xian completely. 

Xian too, had noticed the change in YiJun’s temperament, but fearing that he would be subjected to harsh words again, he had remained silent. 

'I am just an errand boy, after all. It’s not like the prince is mine.' Xian had thought remorsefully.

Present 

Wei Xian arrives at Mianmian’s house at 5.35 am. On the outside, there is nothing out of ordinary, but on the inside, Wei Xian’s heart and brain are a mess. The things he had experienced at the break of dawn had left him shaken. He could still remember the feel of those phantom hands all over his body. It was a miracle that he had cooled himself down enough to get ready and cycle like crazy to get to Mianmian’s house.

"Jiang Cheng, it’s 5.35, you were supposed to be ready at 5.30. Move it, or I will leave your sorry ass here and go back!" Wei Xian screams in Jiang Cheng’s ears.

Jiang Cheng’s friends, who are already up and ready to go to their respective houses, chuckle.

Jiang Cheng finally wakes up. He rubs his eyes and runs his fingers through his tousled bed hair, trying to fix it, but it doesn’t help, "Just because you are always up at dawn doesn’t mean I have the same superpower!"

Wei Xian snorts. Jiang Cheng has never been a morning person. “Jiang Cheng, getting up at dawn is not a superpower; it’s just- "

Jiang Cheng cuts Wei Xian’s words, "It’s just that you are in love with the dawn, and have to see it every freaking morning!

"Jiang Cheng, it’s just a time of the day, you are making it sound like a person...."

"Well, it might as well be! The way you look at..."

All the talk about dawn reminds Wei Xian of how he had felt. 'I love you, Xian... Jun is yours. Always.'

Xian closes his eyes yet again and clears his mind. He really can’t afford to get hard standing inside his junior’s parents' house.

"Come on, Jiang Cheng. Shijie is waiting."

On hearing his sister’s name, Jiang Cheng’s sleep disappears, and he runs to collect his things. "Go downstairs. I will be there in a minute."

The only thing that Wei Xian and Jiang Cheng have in common is their unconditional love for their dear sister, Yanli.

Wei Xian walks outside and is about to get on his bike when his eyes are drawn to a collarless white German Shepard that is standing a few meters away from him. 

'Am I imagining things, or is it looking at me?' Xian wonders as his hand travels to his chest to calm his nerves.

"Shoo... Shoo....go away!" Xian gestures for the dog to leave, but the dog merely cocks its head a little and continues to stare at Xian. 

"Are you judging me right now...I will have you know that I am very brave and you don’t scare me at all... Not in the least."

The dog continues to stare and Xian continues to blabber, "You see...it must be so tiring to just stand and stare at me like that right... Why don’t you go home and stay there comfortably? Where is your master?"

"Wei Xian! Are you talking to a freaking dog again!?" Jiang Cheng says, rolling his eyes.

Xian looks at Jiang Cheng, "Took you long enough!" 

 When Xian looks back at the dog, it’s gone. 'Thank God.' Wei Xian leaves a breath he didn’t even know he was holding.

The two boys make their way back home. They don’t notice the white dog following them. When they finally reach home and close the door behind them, the dog turns around and leaves.

{Note:- Word Count 1565 

Please Vote to show your support if you have enjoyed this update. 

Thank you for reading. 

 Have a nice day.}