"Alright. Thank you."

Dr. Gilbert nods before leaving the room.

"Where's April?" I ask after a few seconds.

My parents, who were just telling me how glad they were that I'm okay, look at the ground to avoid my eyes.

"Where is she?" I ask when they don't answer me.

"Well, she-" my mom starts, but my dad cuts her off.

He places a hand on my shoulder and says, "She's at school."

"Oh," I say, still a little confused. Why are they acting so strange? "Well, how is she?"

"She's fine," my mom says a little too quickly for my liking.

"Uh- okay? So, when can I see her?" I ask.

My dad clears his throat while sharing a knowing look with my mom.

Alright, that's enough. I want to know what's going on.

"Guys, what the hell is going on? What are you not telling me?" I snap. Both my parents sigh before my dad answers.

"Your sister doesn't know what happened," he mumbles.

"What?" I gasp. "Why not?"

"We didn't want her to worry. She's got enough on her plate as it is."

"Oh." I pause and crack my knuckles. "But I really want to see her," I admit, feeling guilt sink into the pit of my stomach.

They're right. April shouldn't have to worry about me.

"We know, honey. But it's probably best if you wait to see her until you're out of here. We wouldn't want her seeing you like this." My mom gestures at me. "Would we?"

I shake my head, knowing what she's getting at. My face is red and swollen because of my broken nose and the skin that is not covered by my hospital gown is covered in nasty cuts and bruises.

"So, what will you tell her? That my deployment was cut short?"

My mom nods and I swallow to get rid of the growing lump in my throat. I don't like lying to April, but I also don't want her to find out what happened.

"Good, now that that's settled, I think we should talk about your birthday. I think we- Oh, hold on-" My dad is cut off by the sound of his phone ringing. He pulls it out and answers it. "Sterling? Yeah. What is it? Mhmm," he hums, scratching his chin. "Wait, what? No, no, no!"

My mom looks alarmed at the sudden change of tone in my dad's voice. She touches his arm to get his attention, but he doesn't react.

"They did what?" my dad shouts, which seems to worry my mom even more. She slightly tugs on her husband's arm, but again, he doesn't react.

"I will be right there, Sterling!"

After hanging up the phone, my dad turns to look at my mom in bewilderment. "We have to go, Susan!"

"What? But Elias just woke up from surgery! And we were just about to plan his birthday!" my mom protests.

"I know and- " My dad turns to address me. "I'm sorry, Elias, but something really important has come up at work! We'll just prepare some dinner at your place for your birthday. Sound good? Yes? Okay. Now, come on, Susan!" He grabs my mom's hand to pull her out of the room.

"But Mike- I- Elias, are you going to be alright? What do you think about the birthday dinner?" my mom stammers as my dad drags her across the room.