Chapter Tweleve - Iris

My eyes closed in a moment of feeling the warmth of being safe. But it only felt safe.
"What are you doing?" I snapped turning my head towards the male behind me.
"It's okay," lulled the brown headed beauty. I clenched the hairs of Winnipeg mane, anger burning inside of me like molten fire. I swung my fist, hitting him hard in the face, the impact causing the blood flushing into his wound. The air escaped his lung, sending his eyelids closed as he fell to the side. I slowed Winnipeg to a stop. Dismounting, I groped Axel's saddle pack for the extra rope that was in every saddle.
"The ponies should be just up ahead," Liam yelled into the gusting wind. Snowflakes barged their way, lodging themselves into our hair. Winnipeg, closed her eyes, headbutting the constant force of the wind. Liam's eye narrowed as snowflakes caked his lashes. I hugged his waist.
"Maybe we should turn back. It doesn't seem safe anymore," I called back, the wind unduifully mixing my word into a jumble of mumbles. Liam shook his head snow tumbling onto Winnipeg.
"We have to save those ponies!" I felt heartbroken. I was freezing and pretty sure if we went any farther we would die. "There!" Liam pointed to a black shadow in the snow. WInnipeg, bounded on happy to finally be here. BUt as we got closer the shape formed shaper edges and looked pointy, instead of the round shape of ponies. "Winnipeg, calm" instructed LIam. Winnipeg couldn't control herself. I felt myself falling. Spark of pain in my right ankle. I screamed in pain. Winnipeg stopped as I lay in the snow, the wind hurling at me.
Apple dismounted off Buck, helping Elouise off. Carefully I placed Nickel's legs together to have him lying straight across Winnipeg's hips.
"Who is that?" demanded Apple pointing her finger at Nickel limp body.
"His name is Nickel."