prologue: bad beginnings

Start from the beginning

"damn it" she panted clutching at her arm and muttering hurried apologies at conner, who had in fact not felt a thing and was now using his advanced eyesight to stare bemused at the girl who had fallen to the floor clutching her soon to be badly bruised arm.

wally was on the floor too, but not because he was in pain or because he wanted to see if the blonde archer was ok, but because he was in pure hysterics about the whole ordeal and found the whole situation absolutely hilarious. Through his laughter he only managed to get out the word 'karma', this was clearly the wrong thing to say as Artemis lunged at him again, this time hitting the right target, half her energy being used to strangle the speedster and the other half being used to yell every single swear word her brain could think of all directed towards wally, who despite the sudden change of situation was still letting out the occasional laugh, which infuriated artemis to say the least.

"Artemis get off him" the o mighty leader of the team Kaldur yelled, which left the team dumbfounded as they were all so used to kaldurs calm stoic voice not this yelling one

"you alright kal?" wally asked carefully, pushing Artemis off him as he did so and stood up to face his leader, well face the voice of his leader because he was still blind due to the lights an all.

"no, something is not right" he started staring around at the blank figures of his team "the backup generator should have started by now"

Wally looked around as he realised Kaldur was right, the backup generator should have started the second the lights turned off in the first place. He had been to focused on annoying Artemis he had completely forgot he was on a team of superheroes and for the lights to go out didn't mean anything good. He sensed the team get into a fighting stance and you didn't have to be a telepath like M'gann to sense the guilt pretroding off everyone in the room. 7 days of no missions and they had completely forgotten how to act, oh this was definitely Batman's fault, not that he would see it that way.

they slowly left the kitchen, with Connor and Kaldur leading the group, everyone either having their weapons drawn or hands protectively covering there face as they advanced towards the living room. 

M'gann sensed it first and then Conner they both looked at each other through the darkness as M'gann set up a mindlink

'there's someone else in here' M'gann whispered slightly scared through the mindlink as if she thought too loud the intruder would hear

'are you sure' Kaldur spoke and somehow the sound of his voice calmed the team 

'there's definitely someone else in this room right now' 

"i demand whoever is there to show yourself and state your intention" Kaldur's calm voice broke the silence as the team stood slightly behind him, almost scared.

another moment of silence and then all of a sudden a laugh, no a cackle erupted from the ceiling and it was a cackle they all knew so well

"wait a minute" Wally started staring  confused towards the ceiling " is that, Rob?" 

The cackling continued and they all stared wide eyed towards the ceiling and suddenly, they all saw something begin to fall down from the roof and before anyone of them could even think about moving they all found themselves covered in a cold thick liquid and the make things worse the lights decided to turn on at this exact moment so they could see themselves covered from head to toe in red paint.

Robin jumped down from the ceiling and his terrifying cackle turned into a very highly amused laugh as he stared at his completely shock ridden friends, whipping off his night vision goggles in the process.