5. The City at Night

Start from the beginning

However, when she was done with the first eight blocks and waiting to cross the striped section of the road to the ninth, a suspicious shadow came out of nowhere, prowling toward her.

It made Elsa really uneasy. She even thought of crossing the street, although Richard had warned her not to. She backed off from the potential danger approaching her.

"Hey, there," the shadow whispered. "You've wandered a long way from home, didn't you?" Already too close, in the light of the lampposts, the shadow cleared into a tall human male. His clothes were ragged and dirty, and his smoky-gray hair was long and wizened. He glanced at her with his wayworn eyes. Elsa had seen many humans since she arrived at the city, but none like this one.

"What are you doing here, huh?" he continued, dragging his words. "This ain't no place for you. You should get back home."

Elsa's eyes widened in terror. She wasn't sure what to do or what to say—this was completely unexpected. Even if she wanted to answer him, she didn't speak the complex language of humans.

 Even if she wanted to answer him, she didn't speak the complex language of humans

The scary human stepped even closer to her, leaving her no room to run. But then a steady chirp broke through the tense silence of the darkened street. She recognized that noise; it came from the post on the corner! Its light had turned green!

Without the slightest hesitation, Elsa rushed through the street as fast as her tired legs allowed her.

"Wait! Don't be scared!" the human shouted. "I won't —" He went after her, but before he reached the street, he tripped and fell to the floor. "I—I just wanna —"

Regardless of what that scary human had to say, Elsa didn't stop—the thought didn't even cross her mind. She rushed through the next two blocks. Luckily for her, she had replenished her energy by eating most of the lawn of the Farmer's son's house.

But that energy didn't last long.

After one more block, her tired body forced her to slow to a steadier, more reasonable pace. There was no need for her to run anymore, anyway; it seemed she had lost that frightening human—he was nowhere to be seen. Her rushing heart also slowed, and she could breathe with ease once again.

It was time to resume her journey to the Moon.

Elsa reckoned she had already walked eight blocks, maybe nine.

And then she had turned... left?

And walked another three... or was it three to the right?

Oh, no!

A rush of adrenaline went through Elsa, speeding her heart up more and more. She hadn't the slightest idea where she was. She was lost!

 She was lost!