5. The City at Night

Following Richard's instructions to the dot, Elsa hid behind the Farmer's son's house and waited until nightfall. Her memory wasn't her most exceptional quality, but still, she tried her best to recall every single step of the plan. She couldn't give herself the luxury of screwing things up; that would cost her her trip to the Moon.

But at last, when the city was dead silent and the sky once again filled with softly pulsing lights, Elsa jumped out of her hiding and started her way through the deserted streets. Her determined steps clicked on the sidewalk, echoing among the blocks looming indefinitely toward the sky to both sides of the road.

"Buildings," Richard had told Elsa the glass blocks were called. Instead, "blocks" were what the humans of the city called the spaces between streets, occupied by buildings.

It seems like there's nothing left unnamed in the city, Elsa thought—humans made everything so complicated and confusing!

Nothing to be surprised.

This was just the way they were.

It took Elsa a good deal of walking to realize how big the city was

It took Elsa a good deal of walking to realize how big the city was. Richard's directions seemed simple enough, yes, but now that she had to go through those long distances by herself instead of letting a machine carry her around, her journey to the Moon suddenly turned lengthy and wearisome.

A machine would sweep by her occasionally, growing in her the bitterest of envies. However, that reminded her of Richard's most important pieces of advice: "Do not cross the street when the light is red."

According to him, the road was the dominion of the machines, and they got outraged if anybody defied their will and intruded into their territory. The only across was through a designated area, usually marked by a trail of white stripes over the road.

Well, she used to think machines were friendly and kind, but foolish and innocent she was! She had better tread lightly from now on; she wouldn't let herself be fooled again by those pesky machines.

Four blocks up the street, turn left, and then another four. Three more to the right, and finally three to the left. Elsa kept repeating those directions to herself so she wouldn't forget. With any luck—and if she didn't get lost first—, Elsa would reach the Moon soon.