Seth Russell – our mechanic. He builds and maintains the machines that we are so dependent on during the war. He was also the one who built our headquarters.

Carlo Rogers – our demolition expert. He simply loves to blow things up.

Ida Silverlake – always the person to go to when we needed to get patched up.

Helen Laviskei – she used to be Cyrus’ assistant, and kind of our guard of sorts should one of us get into trouble.

And of course, me.

The last war was horrible, like all wars are. And we thought that when it had ended, it is the end.

But we were wrong.

It is just the beginning.

The beginning of the end.

My name is Yuri Lorewell, and this is my story.

* * * *

Eris heard the loud creak of the steel door as she lifted her head weakly, feeling quite lightheaded after the beating she was put through what felt like a few hours ago. She could barely feel her arms either, probably because they were tied hard behind her, behind the chair that she was seated on. The thin river of blood was still flowing from her arms to the floor, her temples too, were unwilling tributaries to the crimson stream.

Eris knew that she must look horrible, but at the moment, she couldn’t find it in herself to care.

She won’t speak. No matter what they do to her, she will never talk. She would rather die than betray her own friends. The only regret that she had is that she would never be able to see them for the last time.

For a moment, she wonders how Sen is faring, in wherever that they had taken him to.

Eris chuckled bitterly to herself. She had harbored no hope in leaving alive. She knew what White Cross…no, the Council, the new ruling body of Mayalia would order.

Eris closed her eyes with the sudden onslaught of light after having been kept in the dark for who knows how long, and she opened her eyes once more, trying to adjust to the sudden light. How long has she been in here? Two days? Three days? Maybe even a week? She didn’t know.

A tall man in a black militaristic uniform marking his status as a soldier in the New Army entered the room. He threw a few cards onto the table in front of Eris, leaning forward towards her.

Eris fought hard not to let her discomfort show on her face as she glanced down at the cards, and winced internally. There were blood stains on the edges of those cards. And she had recognised those cards immediately. They were the identity cards that they have carried around to identity themselves as part of the ‘same side’ during the war five years ago.

“Maybe you should start talking now.” The soldier told her, and Eris attempted to glare at him, in spite of her weakness. The soldier leaned closer towards Eris’ face, and she could smell his breath on her face. “I’m pretty sure that you know who those cards belonged to.” He picked up the cards one by one slowly. “Alexia Lewis. Carlo Rogers. Ethan Blake. Jasper Summers. Seth Russell. Ida Silverlake. Helen Laviskei. And Yuri Lorewell. The last remaining survivors of Sin. Apart from you and Sen Kirington. Where are they?”

Eris spat at the soldier, pure hatred and fury in her eyes. “G-Go to Hell,” she hissed. “I will never tell you. You will never get anything out of me. You will have to kill me first. I’ll rather die than betray my own friends!”

The soldier sighed and straightened up. “Such a waste. And to think that I thought that you could be an asset to the New Army too. Are all you Sin people idiots?” He snorted in disaste. “And then again, what do I expect from a bunch of cold hearted murderers anyway?”

He then left the cell, probably to go and call in someone.

Eris chuckled bitterly to herself, letting her chin fall against her chest. She knew that she’ll be dead in the next couple of minutes. Sin members that had the misfortune of getting themselves caught by the New Army never left their headquarters alive.

‘Stay safe, guys.’ Eris thought. ‘It’s been a great journey. The rest is up to you. Protect Mayalia. Be careful, Yuri.’ Eris’ eyes fluttered close as three other soldiers marched in. She relaxed herself as they untied her, dragging her limp body with them out of the interrogation cell, probably to her…execution. ‘They’re coming for you now. You are next.’

===============

I've been playing about with this story idea for some time now. Sin is not the 'fight for justice' kind, as I'm sure you've figured out just from the prologue alone. They're more of an 'antihero' type. Anyway, please comment? I would like to know what my readers think.

© 2012 midnightzgale