Prologue

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, thy comfort me. - Psalm 23:4

* * * *

We thought that the end of the war is the end.

Or so we thought.

It is just the beginning.

Fighting against the corrupted government of Mayalia, and what they represented, as well as their twisted ideals and plans for the country, and the lengths to which they would go to in order to achieve it. Many people felt that it isn’t right. Lots more didn’t like it. And as such, a war broke out.

Several rebel groups formed in order to overthrow the government, and to reclaim their freedom. And amongst these groups, the most powerful and influential was the White Cross faction. Several rebel groups looked to them for advice, and as such they became the de facto leader of the rebel groups.

And as for us, as for Sin, we aren’t so much a rebel group as we are contract killers. Name a target, we’ll name a price, and we’ll get the job done. That’s us. That’s Sin.

At that time, the common citizens of Mayalia didn’t like it, and I don’t blame them. We’re nothing more than mercenaries. You want someone gone? We’ll do it for a price. We Sin just carry out what we think is our own brand of justice.

Each of us is powerful, strong in our own right. The rebel groups and even the common people couldn’t trust us, and neither do they like us, but it was undeniable that they needed us. Undeniable that Mayalia needed us.

Cyrus once told us that Sin is a necessary evil in this world. That even though they would deny it, the world do need us. That…is what he had said at that time.

After the war, the strongest rebel group, White Cross came into power. They became the new ruling body of Mayalia, now known as the Council, with three leaders at the fore of it all.

When the war ended, the Council then told us, “We don’t need you anymore,” and ordered our deaths for having known too much.

Sin had single handedly assassinated several of the old government’s most influential officials after all. We knew every single secret that they had, and even every single secret that White Cross had. It is a given that they would want us out of the way in order to secure that so-called ‘peace’.

The rest of the country, glad that the war is over, clung onto anything that will allow them to keep just that one small shred of peace that they knew.

Thus, we were betrayed.

And as a result, Sin split and scattered all over the country. Since then, we never stayed long in one place, always looking over our shoulder, always taking on different identities. Fearful of the day that might come, when we could run no more, and get ourselves cornered by the New Army.

That was five years ago, and now, of the original twenty that makes up Sin, only eight remains.

Ethan Blake – our second in command of sorts after Cyrus had died five years ago trying to protect us.

Alexia Lewis – our spy, or something along those lines. She is the best at information gathering there is, and seemed to have an almost animalistic instinct when it comes to danger. Probably that was how she had managed to keep herself hidden all these years.

Jasper Summers – our computer expert, and something of a hacker. A mysterious guy, but there is nothing that he can’t do with computers.