2

"I can't help you girls, I'm sorry." Louis sighed, standing up and putting some papers in the draws in his office.

"Louis it is unfair what they are doing to him." I argue. "I just want to know where he has gone, that's a small thing to make sure Maria sees her husband again."

"He doesn't even have to come back to France, but it means that Maria can go and stay with him wherever he has been taken too." Adele sighed, folding her arms in annoyance, wondering why he wasn't helping us.

"Look girls I would really like to help you, but this could cost me my job." Louis took a deep breath in, sitting down on his chair and looking towards us where we stood.

"You give me no choice-" Adele mumbled and went to unbutton her cardigan, but I stopped her before Louis could tell what was going on.

Giving her a glare, I shook my head and sat down on the chair in front of the desk. Louis looked to me intently and waited me to speak. Louis blonde hair had fallen in front of his face, something that seemed to happen when he was anxious - which only made me think of Him, knowing he did the same thing. When he kissed me against the wall and then having to sneak away before Madam saw. When he kissed me and then his other officers came to us to inform him of something. When he looked to me as I got in the car and drove off, not knowing if I would ever hear from him again. The thought of his face sent a rush throughout my body, wishing I could see him once more.

"Amelia?" I heard my name being said, making me snap out of my thoughts. "We could get in a lot of trouble for this, you do know that?" Louis stressed, running his hair back with his hand.

"I know, it is a massive risk-" I began. "But so was the resistance and we did that? What difference is it?"

Louis shook his head, scoffing slightly as he stared at me.

"We are going against our own country this time." Louis argued, not thinking it was comparable in the slightest. "This is what France has said that isn't allowed to happen."

"France allowed the Germans to take us over." I bursted out with anger. "France gave in to the Germans and allowed them to rule over us. We were the ones who protected this blessed country and I think it's a about time they started paying us back for it. The Germans have just as much right as you and I do, to be in this country. We all want peace. You can't judge a man, by a mad one who ordered them around." I breathed out a heavy sigh. "I am going to find him Louis, with or without your help. You choose."

Standing up, the anger rushed through my body and I could tell I had struck a cord in the man. Adele looked to me dumbfound, not knowing where the burst of anger had come from. Maybe I had built it up inside of me over the years of trying to keep myself together. If he wasn't going to help me, I was going to do it myself. Grabbing my coat from the rack, I went to walk out the door but Louis voice stopped me.

"Amelia wait." He sighed, standing up and walking towards me. "I will help. But you have to know that it will be dangerous."

"I know." I breathed out, looking to Adele and then Louis. "But we have shaken dangers hand before. We know what it will be like. I believe we can help them both."

I surprised myself. When Adele has told me about her need to help our friend, I was against it, thinking it would be impossible to do so - whereas now, I was agreeing with her and willing to fight to get two lovers back together. My courage had grown since being in Paris. It had grown stronger while I was with Him. I was prepared for a hard battle ahead, but it only excited me more and knowing our plan could potentially work.

"Then we better get started as soon as possible." Adele added, standing beside me as we looked forward to Louis.

"It will take some time." He sighed. "But I will help as best as I can."

I smiled at him, grateful for his support and loyalty towards us. He stood up and wrapped me in a tight hug. His tallness casted a shadow over me, after being a lot smaller than him. Before pulling away, he looked down at me and smiled.

"Let's do it all over again." He smiled. "I prepared to kick some arse."

"We will be the modern day hero's." Adele chuckled, smiling at the two of us, who laughed in return.

"Hero's to Hans and Maria." I smiled, breathing in deeply. We sat in silence for what seemed like minutes, when in fact it was merely seconds. I played with the hem of my cardigan, hoping we all came up with a plan of action.

"Where do we start?" Louis asked.

"We need to find out where he has gone first." I replied. "You will know that."

Louis face went white as a ghost, as he looked to me and took a deep breath in.

"He will have the key to the files of all the Germans that have been taken." Louis gulped, referring to the captain of the police and home security of the republic.

An evil man that cared only for himself. During the war, he worked alongside the Germans hand in hand and pandering to their every need. Then once the war ended, people had seemed to overlook the traitor and pretend nothing had ever happened. Just hearing his name or thinking about him made my skin crawl.

"That is going to be impossible." Adele mumbled, biting down on the nail on her finger anxiously. I breathed in deeply, looking towards Louis, who I knew was thinking the same thing. "Surely we could just go and tell Maria first that we are willing to help her."

"No-" I disagreed. "We need to let her know we have a lead and know where he could potentially be. Louis, do you think you could get the key off him?"

"It is near enough impossible to get those keys off of his belt." He muttered. Closing my eyes, I tried to think what we could do, to get the keys of that man.

"I could always seduce it off him?" Adele smirked, making Louis and I look to her dumbfound. Louis shook his head vigorously and I just snorted out a laugh, thinking my friend was absolutely insane.

"No, I am not sure you would even be able to get the old man-" Louis began to make a crude remark, which only repulsed me and I did not want to hear another peep about seducing the old man. 
"You guys are awful." I huffed. "Now please can we come up with an actual good plan, that will work. We don't have time to be messing around."

"I care about Maria-" Adele began, turning towards me with a frown on her face. "Just try to lighten up Amelia. You were not so keen on the idea a few hours ago, why the change of tune?"

"I have my reasons." I muttered, feeling the redness flourish over my cheeks.

"her mysterious pasts that she never likes to talk about." Louis looked to Adele, raising an eyebrow to taunt me slightly. "The life Benoît said you want to forget."

But I did not want to forget it, I said to myself, deep in thought and no longer listening to the two in front of me. I wanted to remember him and I felt guilty for letting him go. He was the only good thing in my life and I let him slip through my fingers. I was not going to let Maria do the same thing. People might think I am crazy not telling my own friends my past, what life was like back at home, but that was my way of coping and not dwelling on my mistakes.