Chapter 1

"Mommy! Mommy! I lost my necklace" Aubrey cried.

I'd just gotten home from work. It was a busy day at the salon.

"Well baby there are more on your dresser—" She quickly interrupted me, "NO! The one daddy gave you!"

I picked her up to try and calm her down a little. "Okay Bre, calm down. Where was the last place you had it?"

"In my room mommy" She whined.

"Let's go look in there then" I put her down and she took off running.

"Look Mommy! It's not in there" she stomped her feet and started crying again. "Stop it Bre!"

I looked in her toy boxes, on top of her dresser, in her closet. No necklace. I knelt down to look under her bed and there it was. I embraced it as I held it in my hands.

Ever since I gave Aubrey one of the necklaces Aug gave me when we were younger, she and it have been inseparable ever since. She'll wear it with anything— whenever, wherever.

"Can I have my necklace back now?" I smiled and gave it to her.

I love Aubrey Alsina with all my heart. It fascinates me how much she loves Aug and she hasn't met him yet. What hurts me the most is when she asks why she can't see her dad. I understand that it's my fault and I have to live with that. I never hid August from Bre because she deserves to know. The only thing I regret doing is not telling Aug he had a baby on the way.

Aubrey is the spitting image of her father. Everything she does is like Aug; from his looks, to his goofy personality, to the way he walks, even down to his good grade of hair and shy smile— she's got it all. I don't know how Bre acts just like Aug when they've never met before.

I walked out of her room and back to the kitchen where I was before. I watched her fiddle with the necklace from behind the counter.

"Mommy, does my Daddy like me?" Bre asked, not stopping what she was doing.

I sat on the couch beside him. "Of course he does baby. He loves you very much! Why would you think that?"

"Because he never comes to see me"

I sighed, "That's because Daddy is very busy with work"

"But you're busy with work too and I see you everyday" She frowned.

"That's because his work is different from mine"

"Okay Mommy. Can I watch some of Daddy's videos?"

"Sure! Which one do you want to see?"

She looked up at the ceiling as she thought for a moment. "Uhhhhmmm, I Love This since my boyfriend is in it" She smiled that shy smile that she and August shared.

"What boyfriend, Bre?"

"Chris! Duh Ma!" She laughed.

"Girl, you are something else" I retrieved the iPad from my room and Google searched 'I Love This Remix August Alsina' into the search engine. Before the video could start good, Bre was jumping for joy. Bre does this every time he watches one of Aug's videos.

I watched Bre sing and dance to the music, dramatically. She's such a character.

"Come to the table Bre. Dinner's ready" "But Mommy I wanna—"

"No buts, come eat!"

I sat her plate down on the mat in front of her.

After we were done eating, I washed both of our plates. I let Bre watch more videos of August while I went upstairs to shower.

After I was done, I went downstairs to find my baby passed out on the couch. I carried her up to her room, changed her into her night clothes, and tucked her in her bed. "I love you Cupcake"

"I love you too Mommy" she mumbled back.

I headed to my room after making sure the doors were locked and turning the lights out. As I got under the sheet, I reminisced on times Aug and I shared. The day he left was the last day I saw him physically. We talked on the phone and we skyped sometimes but after a while, we lost contact.

I looked down at the promise ring he gave me before he left. It has not come off since the day he placed it on my finger. I took it off just to read the inside: "I love you, always! - August 03.24.04"

After years of wishing, hoping, and praying we still haven't come across each other's paths. I live in Atlanta now and so does he. Hopefully, that day will come sooner than later.