Chapter 3: SUNDERLAND

"Captain, you called for me?" I asked as I ventured tentatively into his office. Out of all people, what could he have possibly wanted from me?

"Oh, you are here! Detective, allow me introduce you to Kevin Sock; Mr. Sock, as promised, Detective Emory Sunderland."

I turned around and was startled by the presence a young teenage boy sitting on the sofa by the door with arms and legs crossed and head tilted slightly down. A lithe figure and disheveled hair that fell just over his eyes from how he was sitting. He wasn't dressed like your average Blue District kid either. He wore a dark long sleeve tee, jeans, and retro high tops. The only accessory on him was a ring decorated with a familiar, elegant design. Beside him rested a canvas knapsack stuffed with who knows what. Based off what I could see of his silky pale skin, it seemed as if he wouldn't dream of even stepping foot in the same room as a needle of any sort. He made no sound nor movement that acknowledged the introduction.

He's the Kevin Sock that everyone's been whispering about?

"I'm sorry, am I interrupting something or-" I motioned back and forth between supposed delinquent and the man.

"No, not at all! As a matter of fact, the reason you are here is Mr. Sock. From today until he completes probation, you shall be his Juvenile Correctional Officer." A short pause of silence followed as his words sank in.

"Pardon?"

"You heard me," he slid a file and job description booklet across the desk to me.

"Wha- wait, but Will- I mean, I'll take it but am I even qualified to—" I sputtered stupidly in front of my boss. A knock on the door cut halfway through my sentence and Harrington barged in.

"Captain, I heard the news and came right away. Are you really handing over this bastard to someone like her?" He rudely threw his finger at me.

"Not like her, Detective, it is her. There a problem?"

"Yes, there is a glaringly large problem, sir. First of all, we have no clue what the bastard is capable of after the whole Detention Facility incident. Second, Sunderland has no clue what she's doing, like, ever. And Lastly, I have more competence in my small finger than she will ever have in a life time!"

He forgot to include that he's a self-righteous prick who can only think of proving his worth to the world.

"No offense." He added directing it toward me with disapproving eyes.

"Of course, none taken." I replied waving it over with my hand. Shithead.

"You do raise a good point, Detective." Captain said with a pensive look. I'd be lying if I said that hearing him agree with the asshole didn't hurt.

"Thank you!" My colleague exclaimed as if he finally had found the last sane person on Earth aside from himself.

"Sock is now both of your responsibilities. While Sunderland takes the lead on this, Detective Harrington, you will supervise this operation." Jensen smiled, content with his resolution. He shifted his gaze from us to the apathetic teen. "Power in numbers, eh, Sock?" he laughed for no visible reason. That man was insane to think that his plan would go smoothly with this combination. "Now that we're all settled here," he let out a heaving sigh. "You three are dismissed for the evening."

"But-" Harrington tried to start again.

"Go home, Detective." The Captain insisted, and the three of us took our leave.

Harrington and I both stopped at our desks to gather our things, but the teen kept walking.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?" I heard my new partner shout throughout the station.

Sock paused for half a moment to crack his neck and give a deep sigh, and then continued towards the exit.

I grabbed my bag and followed.

"What, now you, too?"

"You deaf, Will? Jensen told us we could go home."

"What about the bastard?" He said still unreasonably pissed at the whole situation.

"The GPS anklet will be activated by tomorrow. But if you're so paranoid, I'll follow him for today." I was shot a look of doubt. "Jeez Will, we've known each other for how many years now? Please, put a little faith into me already."

*******

I ended up trailing Kevin to the metro station and onto the train. After a few stops, I got off and boarded a bus behind him. Something about this route seemed oddly familiar. He got off at a stop in front of a ten story apartment building- my apartment building. At a safe distance, I entered after him. I snatch a glance of him just as the elevator doors block my visual and stared at the numbered lights above my head. The fifteenth floor.

My floor.

Taking the second lift, I managed to catch up with him. At the residence across from mine, I find him trying different keys on the lock. Silently, I approached him from behind. My mouth opened to begin questioning him, but, to my surprise, he beat me to it.

"Detective Sunderland, are you following me?" He asked without bothering to look in my direction. His voice is rich like honey and as smooth as glass, but his words were empty of emotion. "No, at least that much is clear. Let me rephrase: how much longer do you intend to stalk me?"

"What are you doing here?"

"Just moved in," he replied, jabbing yet another unworthy key into the lock. Why did he have so many keys?

"You live here then?" I didn't recall ever seeing any movers recently.

"Evidently," He slid another key into the opening and turned it, finally receiving the click of the door's response. "You?"

"I'm just across, right there."

"Really?" He looked up and for the first time I saw his face properly: beady black eyes, thin lips, and a golden-vanilla round face. He smiled less than half-heartedly at me before giving up on his two-second attempt at a kind expression and resorting back to a cold glare. "Guess that makes us kind of like neighbors then." He slipped into his room which left me standing alone staring at the space he occupied only seconds ago, with a half dazed mind.

Neighbors, huh....

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

A/N:

This story's been told in three points of view so far. I am really sorry if it's confusing anyone.... ( - _ - ; )>

It's starting to confuse the author lol..