Chapter 2: Yellow District

An impish grin stretched from either ear as the young thief sprinted through the market, weaving himself into the tight crowd with a bundle secured to his back. Adrenaline shot through him as he ran from the two angry vendors who pushed their way through with less ease. With every few strides, Shin looked over his shoulder making sure they were still tailing him.

"Shin, you bastard! I'll kill you!" The Brian shouted after the thief. It was threats like those that only encouraged him to seek trouble. That and the fact that he had nothing better to do.

He made a sharp turn left and began to head towards a half deserted maze of cement houses leading them to the darker parts of the district, away from the main road. Sweat dripped down his neck and dampened his clothes, his limbs burned with satisfaction as they pumped in a steady rhythm.

The sound of hurried footsteps reflected against the walls and stone pavement accompanied by heavy panting. He had reeled them in too close; if things kept up like this, he would definitely get caught.

A rotting beam that jut itself out from the wall ahead captured his attention in the midst of thinking up a new plan of action. Shin pushed forward gaining speed and leaped for it; his fingers just barely made their way around the wood. His support began to shake and creak under his weight as he started to swing his body. A couple feet away stood a platform just below a flat rooftop.

The thief released his hold, sending himself flailing to his destination and the weak beam clattering to the ground. His upper half made it while his legs hung over the wall. The two men finally reached him and begun grabbing at the feet that dangled above them.

With tired arms and splintered palms, he managed to drag the rest of his body over the ledge and then up to the rooftop. It was wide and decorated with an assortment of cracks and a few decently sized holes. He stood gasping to catch his breath while squinting down at the men who stared back bent over with hands at on their knees.

For a few seconds, they all stood there as their chests rapidly rose and fell together. Shin broke the moment with breathy laughter from his dry throat.

"Damn- you two sure are persistent, chasing me all the way here and stuff." Shin's grin seemed to spread even further across his face. He smoothed his shaggy bangs away from his forehead and held them there, resting his hands on top to cool off. The afternoon sun felt as though it beat down harder up where he stood.

"Shin! You go around stealin' everyday, you no good piece o' scum! What'cha expect?" The younger scowled.

"C'mon Brian, don't be like that." Shin said playfully as if they were old friends. "Besides, it ain't like I'm robbin' anyone's valuables."

"Who the hell's Brian?"

"You knew my name so I thought I'd take a swing at yours." He turned to the second. "You can be Steve."

"Get back here and pay, Shin!" Steve lashed out.

"Fine, I'll pay tomorrow when I have the money."

"Really?" A hint of surprise had surfaced in his tone.

"No, not really. Piss off."

"We'll find your parents!"

"So we're tattling now, I see. What, are you three?" 

"That's it!" The voice snaps from Steve. "I'm coming up there!" He stalks around the house searching for a way to get to Shin.

"Oh no! I'm so scared," the thief mocked with heavy sarcasm and edged backwards to add on to his bit. He slapped his chest with both hands and extended them outward. "Come and get me you ugly pieces of-" 

Cree-- kachaaa!

A weak patched section of the roof gave out, sending the thief plummeting into the small home. "Shit!"

He landed back first, knocking out his breath. He laid there silently, listening for his pursuers on the other side of the wall.

"What now?" 

"We wait for him, I guess."

"What'cha two think you're doin', loiterin' around our homes like that? People live here, too ya know!" An aged bystander gruffly called out.

"Our, uh- friend just fell in there. We're just waiting-"

"Fuckin' concrete-street vendors lookin' down on the resta us. Get away or I'll eat you!" The sound of feet scrambling on the dirt roads reached beyond the wall along with the third person muttering with an obvious scorn in his tone, about disrespect as he strolled past the hideout.

The thief shut his eyelids and sighed as he let the chilled cement relieve his golden skin from the sun's brutal heat. The notorious Shin got away again! Nothing could stop him! He chuckled to himself and rested for a still second.

"H-hello?"

Shin's beady eyes flicked open. He was not alone.