𝐢𝐯. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭

Start from the beginning

The former hashira carried the cloth to Airi, placing a beautiful white haori in her hands. She put the material on and gasped in awe. The clothing was not simply a monochrome white like what she used to own.

She aligned her hands on the edges of the sleeves and noticed how the material hugged her physical features in the front, and how it flowed gracefully in the back. The ends were laced with gold lines, and golden vines rose from the bottom of the haori to the middle of her back. She admired the work, bowing multiple times to her master.

Urokodaki then walked behind her, wrapping a blindfold like material around her eyes, "This will help your eyes. You can see through the material, but it will catch the tears."

The two boys next to her looked at the them incredulously. They admired the hoari their companion wore, but they were more concerned with the silk blindfold around her eyes. However, the two stood and watched in silence. Sabito wanted to ask Airi about that later, but he couldn't bring himself to question it now. Nor could Giyū.

Airi gasped, "You're right sir. I am so grateful! I did not deserve this. Not for how long I've been training here."

She linked the mask on the side of her waist with her blade that Urokodaki lent her, giving her master a soft smile. She unveiled the blindfold and let it rest around her neck loosely.

In that moment, Urokodaki hugged the girl unexpectedly, "I have learned a lot from you, child. Your passion and strength are like no other young woman I have seen or taught. These past few months have been brighter with you around. I think the boys could atone to that. Come back alive, please."

She wrapped her arms around the old man's frame, "I will. I promise. We will all be back alive."

The three started out the door, and Urokodaki hugged the three together in a large group hug.

"Please. Don't forget to come back." Was all their master said, his voice cracking.

The three left the house in the middle of the night, hoping to be at Mt. Fujikasane by the time Final Selection will begin. They walked together through the town below the mountain in silence. Airi found beautiful white lilies by a nearby pond, and weaved them into her thick braids that were pulled back from the front.

The rest of her hair was long, for she wanted demons to admire their final pretty picture before they perished.

Airi's palms were sweaty, her mind was racing like a horse across the plains of Japan. She knew she had to live, but her chances at dying were higher than her chances at living. She thought of Daichi and Atsushi and their wicked grins whenever they would tease their older sister.

She smiled at the thought.

"What are you smiling about?" Sabito asked her.

"My family." She responded directly. She grew comfortable over the last month with the two boys. The three of them were like a trio. Even though Giyū and Sabito were particularly close, Airi fit right in with them. All three of them grew fond of each other over the past few months, as friends and as demon slayers.

"What were they like?" Giyū asked quietly after a few seconds of silence.

Airi pondered for a moment before softly raising her voice, "It's best if I let them rest in peace. I can't mourn for them. I think they would scold me if I did."